Other

(lost) Friends’ Meeting House - Hammersmith

Inscription

This garden is on the site of the Friends’ Meeting House and Burial Ground, 1765-1944.

Looks like something used to be mounted on the granite top of this pillar, but what? This memorial was probably erected in 1951 when the bomb site was cleared for the Festival of Britain celebrations.

See here for another sad empty plinth.

Site: Friends’ Meeting House - Hammersmith (2 memorials)

W6, Furnivall Gardens

The tree-less plaque is in the lawn some distance to the right, outside our photo, which was taken from inside the garden.

Concerning Furnivall Gardens generally, a nearby information board informs: "The gardens are named after Dr Frederick James Furnivall, 1825 - 1910, a distinguished scholar of English literature and an important figure in the development of the sport of rowing. In 1896 he founded the Hammersmith Sculling Club for Girls and Men, now called the Furnivall Sculling Club, whose premises are in Lower Mall.

Furnivall Gardens cover the area which was formerly the mouth of the Hammersmith creek, an outlet into the Thames from Stamford Brook. In 1936 after the decline of the fishing industry in the creek harbour in the early 19th century, the creek was filled in and the water channelled through an underground culvert.

Many of the buildings in the creek area were destroyed by bombing during World War II and, in 1948, the council created an open space in this area, to be used during the Festival of Britain. A walled garden was constructed on the bombed site of what had, since 1765, been the Friends' Meeting House and burial ground.

Furnivall Gardens and Hammersmith Pier were opened on 5th May 1951."

The pier was built as a dock where festival-visitors could board a ferry to the Battersea and the South Bank.

The 1954 film Impulse has a scene at about 44 minutes where the characters arrive at Dove Pier and walk across Furnival Gardens. The camera briefly shows some of the large buildings on the other side of the Great West Road, and before that a windowed ruined wall which seems to stretch northwards from what is now River House, across the Gardens to the Great West Road.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Friends’ Meeting House - Hammersmith

Subjects commemorated i

Friends’ Meeting House - Hammersmith

Hammersmith Quakers gives: "Members of the Society of Friends (better known a...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Friends’ Meeting House - Hammersmith

Also at this site i

Fred Haines

Fred Haines

This tree was planted in memory of Fred Haines by his colleagues on 20th Apri...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Battersea Arts Centre - fire

Battersea Arts Centre - fire

SW11, Lavender Hill, Battersea Arts Centre

On the afternoon of Friday 13th March 2015, a fire started in the Grand Hall. This steel truss had held up the structure for 122 years. W...

1 subject commemorated
The Ring pub

The Ring pub

SE1, Blackfriars Road, 72

The Surrey Chapel which became used as a boxing ring stood at this junction diagonally opposite this pub, on the site now occupied by TfL...

1 subject commemorated
Lily Pond

Lily Pond

WC2, Victoria Embankment Gardens

Buxton seems to have presented the pond the year before he became Chairman. This is unusual, presumably because it looks a little like th...

1 creator
Hanbury Hall  - tiled plaque

Hanbury Hall - tiled plaque

E1, Hanbury Street, 22, Hanbury Community Centre

These 20 Delft tiles are decorated with scenes and symbols important in Huguenot history, such as early church buildings in the area and ...

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Boat in Molesey

Boat in Molesey

KT8, River Thames path

A large scar in the ground (and a shape in satellite view) confirms that originally there were two boats here. Kenneth Grahame lived nea...

1 creator

Previously viewed

Brockley and Ladywell Cemetery WW1 - casualties

Brockley and Ladywell Cemetery WW1 - casualties

SE4, Brockley Grove, Brockley and Ladywell Cemetry

The names commemorate those who are buried in the cemetery without individual headstones, so some have accompanying touching epithets whi...

War dead | WW1
112 subjects commemorated
Bandstand - Southwark Park

Bandstand - Southwark Park

SE16, Southwark Park

Francis Fowke designed the buildings for the 1862 International Exhibition in South Kensington and also some of the items in the neighbou...

3 subjects commemorated, 3 creators
Paddington and St Marylebone Boy Scouts

Paddington and St Marylebone Boy Scouts

W9, Randolph Avenue, Paddington Recreation Ground

A circle around a dot is the boy scouts' tracking symbol meaning 'gone home'.

2 subjects commemorated
R. Ewan

R. Ewan

Overseer of St Mary Whitechapel parish 1884.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
E. Barr

E. Barr

Name on one of the main panels of the East Ham WW1 memorial.

Person

War dead, WW1
1 memorial