Place    From /6/1855  To 1963

Caledonian Market

Categories: Commerce, Food & Drink

Caledonian Cattle Market, built in 1855 by J. B. Bunning, and demolished after WW2.

Caledonian Market was held in the area now partly occupied by Caledonian Park, the large area bounded by what are now (clockwise): Hungerford Road, Hartham Road, Caledonian Road, Brewery Road, York Way.  Built to replace the over-crowded Smithfield live-stock market, it gradually changed in the early 20th century and ended its days as a flea-market. For a summary of how it was developed into a housing estate see Chris Pullen.

2021: The Islington Gazette reported (with photo) that one of the cast iron bull's heads that used to be part of the gate posts for the market was up for auction. The only other known surviving head is held by the Museum of London.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Caledonian Market

Commemorated ati

Copenhagen House and Caledonian Market

Historic Site Copenhagen House, famous tavern & tea-garden, stood here f...

Read More

Other Subjects

County Fire Office

County Fire Office

An insurance organisation launched by Barber Beaumont in 1807. Beaumont was the managing director and within 20 years it was the fifth largest fire insurer in Britain. Source: Oxford Dictionary of...

Group, Commerce

1 memorial
First Pret a Manger shop

First Pret a Manger shop

The brand Pret a Manger actually started in Hampstead but that folded after 18 months and the brand was sold to Julian Metcalfe and Sinclair Beecham who restarted it in Victoria near, but not actua...

Concept, Commerce, Food & Drink

1 memorial
Apollo Inn

Apollo Inn

Was on the corner of Tottenham Court Road and Torrington Place. Designed by Fitzroy Doll.

Building, Commerce, Food & Drink

1 memorial
T. Blanch & Sons

T. Blanch & Sons

Coach-makers, active in 1898.

Group, Commerce, Craft / Design, Transport

1 memorial