Founded by Thomas Sutton in 1611, the year of his death. An ex-Carthusian priory near Smithfield was used for the school - thus pupils are known as Carthusians. Sutton was buried in the chapel.
The school sold its London site to Merchant Taylors' and moved near Godalming in 1872.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Charterhouse School
Commemorated ati
Charterhouse
The Great Cloister of The London Charterhouse, 1371 - 1538, once occupied thi...
Other Subjects
London School Board
Created out of the Elementary Education Act 1870. The LSB covered the same Inner London area as that of the Metropolitan Board of Works. The members of the LSB were directly elected. The LSB ens...
Bridewell Royal Hospital
Bridewell Palace was given by Edward VI in 1553 to the City of London to house this school, founded by royal charter in the same year. In 1867 the school moved to Surrey and changed its name to Ki...
Braidwood Academy for the Deaf and Dumb
First school in England for the education of the deaf. Established by Thomas Braidwood. On old maps one can see a large house just a little to the north of the plaque location but we can find n...
Manresa House
Originally called Bessborough House, it was built by William Ponsonby in the 1760s. It was sold to the Society of Jesus (The Jesuits) in 1861 and renamed Manresa House after the town in Spain where...
John Sparkes
Principal of the Lambeth School of Arts 1858 - 1900. Born as John Charles Lewis Sparkes in Brixton. Began teaching at Lambeth in 1857. Cultivated a special relationship between the school and Doult...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them