Holmwood
British History Online 1 gives "The mathematician Charles Babbage (1792-1871) and the novelist Captain Frederick Marryat (1792- 1848) attended a school run by the Revd. Stephen Freeman in a house i...
One of the largest former cinemas in Britain. It had seating for 3,000 and standing room for 1,000, plus a cafe, a ballroom and a stage big enough to accommodate an orchestra. As audiences dwindled...
First mentioned in the Domesday Book, but the origins of this Palace are probably much earlier. It was given to Edward II in 1305, and was a royal residence until the 16th century. In 1933 the leas...
Bought by the school in 1956, its opening in 2013 was probably following a major refurbishment of some kind. At Lyonian Association we learnt: "The Red House Memorial Garden contains several trees...
From The Masons: "Between 1483 and 1865 the Masons’ Company Halls (both the pre and post Great Fire) stood on the site of what is now 12 Mason’s Avenue. A certain amount is known about both buildin...
Its full name was the Church of St Mary, St Ursula and her 11,000 Virgins. The origin of the nick name supposedly derives either from a sign of an axe over the east end of the church or from a reli...
Home to George Meredith, 1864-7. In response to our search Google presented this image but does not provide full access to the apparent source, "Selected Letters of George Meredith", so we cannot ...
Home of the High Commission of Australia. Designed by Alexander Marshall Mackenzie and built by Dove Brothers. Construction commenced in 1913, but as many of the building materials came from Austra...
Our Picture source dates the image as 1899 and gives the architect as A. J. Perriam. On this 1895 OS map the building is labelled Albany Hall. and on this 1916 OS map "Institute". From Art in the P...
Old Limehouse, built around 1705 and demolished in 1935. The original door is held by the Ragged School Museum, Bow, E3.