The Ivy restaurant
The Ivy, opened by Abele Giandolini, as an unlicensed Italian cafe in 1917 in a building on the same site. Famous as a theatrical-celebrities haunt, possibly due to its late closing time of near-mi...
The Ivy, opened by Abele Giandolini, as an unlicensed Italian cafe in 1917 in a building on the same site. Famous as a theatrical-celebrities haunt, possibly due to its late closing time of near-mi...
A market square in Woolwich. It was formed in the early 19th century and named after General William Beresford, Master-General of the Ordnance and Governor of the Royal Military Academy. Our pictur...
Its first charter was granted to Sir William Barne, Lord Mayor of London and Hugh Lyddiard, Clerk of the Cheque at Woolwich dockyard. It has been in several locations in the area, and our picture s...
Also known as the Beresford Gate (after William Beresford, Master-General of the Ordnance and Governor of the Royal Military Academy in Woolwich), and was formerly the main entrance to the Royal Ar...
Roman pottery, also called Sulloniacis. It is known only from an entry in the 'Antonine Itinerary', (a listing of routes and facilities in the Roman Empire). There is some doubt as to the authentic...
A series of three docks on the Isle of Dogs. Their construction was largely the responsibility of Robert Milligan, who had managed his family's Jamaica sugar plantations. He became outraged at loss...
Grade II listed, thsi bridge is a very early example of the use of reinforced concrete in Britain. Built in the age of steam, it still carries the deflectors and very high parapets which channelled...
This arch overlooked Dial Square, named for the sundial in the centre. It is the site of the Royal Gun Factories where gun barrels were bored out. In 1886, the workers here formed a football club -...
A residential, retail and leisure development of the former Royal Arsenal site in Woolwich.
Our image shows the station building at Stanmore, renamed Stanmore Village. Dewi Williams has more photos of the building, in 1949. In 1882, nearby Bentley Priory, a stately home and deer park, wa...