High Speed 1
A high-speed railway link from London through Kent to the UK end of the Channel Tunnel. Officially known as the Channel Tunnel Rail Link (CTRL) and originally as the Union Railway or Continental Ma...
A high-speed railway link from London through Kent to the UK end of the Channel Tunnel. Officially known as the Channel Tunnel Rail Link (CTRL) and originally as the Union Railway or Continental Ma...
The route to Bishopsgate can still be seen clearly on a current map, wending its way fairly directly via roads and footpaths from Mare Street Narrowway down to Virginia Road which, prior redevelopm...
There has been a market in Greenwich since the fourteenth century. The buildings surrounding the current market are Grade 2 listed and were built from 1827 to 1833. The market is open from Wednesda...
There has been street trading in this area since the sixteenth century. The current market specialises in African and Caribbean fruit and vegetables and household goods. East Street was, possibly, ...
In the 1660s Henry Jermyn was given the right by Charles II to develop an area carved out of the royal parks. One of the few areas in London that is clearly defined geographically, it is bounded by...
From British History: In 1896 the street was renamed to join the street to its west, Old Compton Street. On Flickr we found a page reporting that Rimbaud and Verlaine in 1871 used to frequent a ba...
St Saviours is a former civil parish. Created from the union of the parishes of St Margaret and St Mary Magdalene. In 1855 it was grouped with Southwark Christchurch into the St Saviour's District....
Designed by Lewis Cubitt. Took the name from the area which had taken it from a statue of Geoge IV that once stood at the junction of Pentonville Road, Euston Road, Gray's Inn Road and Caledonian ...
Traitors’ heads used to be displayed on spikes on London Bridge, at the Stone Gateway on the south bank. This merry London ritual began in about 1300 and continued until about 1660. The lofty hea...
Formerly known as the Midland Railway Basin (though we could find nothing under thatn name). Opened as a coal wharf. 1958 converted to a pleasure craft area. Now home to the St Pancras Cruising C...