Radio comedy show, originally broadcast as 'Crazy People' The first scripts were co-written by Spike Milligan and Jimmy Grafton. The pressure of writing eventually contributed to Milligan's mental breakdown. Michael Bentine was a co-founder but left in 1953. The inventiveness of the programme has been cited as a major influence for many subsequent comedians. A puppet series for television, 'The Telegoons' was made in the early 1960s. Milligan, Secombe and Sellers reunited for a final show in 1972 as part of the BBC's 50th anniversary celebrations. Our picture shows, left to right: Sellers, Secombe, Milligan, Bentine.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
The Goon Show
Commemorated ati
Spike's statue - Goons
This little group shows Secombe, Milligan and Sellers, holding "Goons" script...
The Goon Show
{Caricatures of the four comedians, followed by:} The Goon Show, 1951-1960, f...
Other Subjects
Rik Mayall
Actor, comedian and writer. Born Richard Michael Mayall in Epping. He was part of the 'alternative comedy' wave in the early 1980s, and appeared in 'The Comic Strip' and 'The Young Ones' and later ...
Sir Osbert Lancaster
Cartoonist and writer. Son of Robert, grandson of Sir William, he was born at the Notting Hill house with the plaque. At Oxford University he became friends with Betjeman and after art school worke...
Harry H. Corbett OBE
Actor. Son of an army officer he was born in Burma. The Son of Wilfrid Brambell in the TV series 'Steptoe and Son'. Died Hastings. Not to be confused with Harry Corbett, Sooty and Sweep's handler.
George du Maurier
Artist and writer. Born Paris. Punch cartoonist. 1894 wrote the novel Trilby, from which comes the term "Svengali". In Hampstead lived at 4 Holly Mount, moved to Gangmoor House facing Whitestone P...
Person, Art, Humour, Literature, France
Terry-Thomas
Comic actor, born as Thomas Terry Hoar-Stevens in Finchley, Middlesex. He performed with the Entertainments National Service Association (ENSA) during World War II and went on to work on radio and ...
Previously viewed
Marquee Club
First opened on 19 April 1958 at 165 Oxford Street and then in 1964 moved to 90 Wardour Street, where it stayed until 1988. It was at 105-107 Charing Cross Road (a former cinema) from August 1988 -...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them