Leased by John Evelyn from Charles II in 1663 and trashed by Peter the Great in 1698. The picture source gives a full history of the house which was badly damaged in WW2 and demolished in 1947. The Greenwich Phantom has a photo of a building which formed part of the house and the Garden History Society has a wooden model of the house and garden.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Sayes Court
Commemorated ati
Peter the Great statue
Statue unveiled by Prince Michael of Kent, as Patron of the Peter the Great T...
Other Subjects
Burnham Beeches
A 1.44 square mile biological Site of Special Scientific Interest in Buckinghamshire. The southern half is owned by the Corporation of London and is open to the public. Its area is slightly larger ...
Portman Square Garden
Laid out and the plane trees planted following private Acts of Parliament of 1780 and 1823.
Well Hall Pleasaunce
Wellehawe as an area in Eltham was first recorded in 1401. It still contains a Tudor barn built by William Roper, the son-in-law of Sir Thomas More. Another main feature, used to be Well Hall (pict...
Croydon Road Recreation Ground
The land was purchased by the Beckenham Local Board to provide a public open space which had been lacking since the loss of the Fair Field for housing in the 1870s. The site was part of open farmla...
William George Spencer Cavendish, 6th Duke of Devonshire
The "Bachelor Duke" after whom the Cavendish banana was named. Born Paris, son of the 5th Duke, who died in 1811. Had a strong interest in gardening and agriculture and gave his estates a lot of a...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them