Building    From 1867  To 13/7/1944

Royal Garrison Church of St George

Categories: Armed Forces, Religion

Built by Thomas Henry Wyatt, in the Italianate style. It became a royal garrison church in 1928, following a visit by King George V. It contains many mosaics, particularly one by Antonio Salviati, of St George slaying the dragon. A large part of the building was destroyed in an air-raid, but the ruins are used occasionally for open-air services. In 2011, the Heritage Lottery Fund, awarded a substantial grant for conservation work to be carried out.

2018: IanVisits has visited.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Royal Garrison Church of St George

Commemorated ati

Royal Garrison Church of St George - WW2 bomb

Royal Garrison Church of St. George, destroyed by flying bomb on 13th July 19...

Read More

Other Subjects

F. J. Clark

F. J. Clark

Co-partner or employee of the South Suburban Gas Company. Served but did not die in WW1.

Person, Armed Forces

War served, WW1
1 memorial
Lieutenant Felix Ernest Jones, MC

Lieutenant Felix Ernest Jones, MC

Felix Ernest Jones was born on 27 May 1888, a son of William Jones (1855-1925) and Madeline Mary Jones née Weiss (1857-1914). His birth was registered in the Edmonton registration district, Middles...

Person, Armed Forces, Law, Belgium

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
T. H. Taylor

T. H. Taylor

J. Lyons & Co. Ltd. staff member who died in WW1.

Person, Armed Forces

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
Basil T. Ferris

Basil T. Ferris

Resident of the Central Ward, Hendon who served and died in WW1.

Person, Armed Forces

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
F. Dann

F. Dann

Resident of the Central Ward, Hendon who served and died in WW1.

Person, Armed Forces

War dead, WW1
1 memorial

Previously viewed

L. Herod
War dead, WW1
1 memorial
Humphry

Humphry

A cat who lived at nearby Mary Ward House for 18 years. A ginger tom, he was named after the husband of Mary Ward, Humphry Ward (1845 – 1926).

Animal, Animals

1 memorial