Building    From 1440  To 1660

Greenwich Palace / Palace of Placentia

Categories: Property, Royalty

The palace was built, as Bella Court, by Humphrey Duke of Gloucester, regent to the child king Henry VI.  When the king married Margaret of Anjou Humphrey fell out of favour and died in prison in 1447.  Margaret took over Bella Court and renamed it the Palace of Placentia, under which name (derived from Latin for 'pleasant place to live') it was the main royal residence until the 1600s, though it was rebuilt by Henry VII, 1498 - 1504. 

The Civil War left it in a bad state and Charles II had the Tudor buildings demolished intending to build a sumptuous replacement.  But only the King’s House was built and the site was never again a royal residence. It remained empty until the Greenwich Hospital was built.

The dates 1440 - 1660 are approximate.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Greenwich Palace / Palace of Placentia

Commemorated ati

Greenwich Palace

The plaque was unveiled to commemorate the 450th anniversary of Queen Elizabe...

Read More

John Blanke - Trinity Laban Conservatoire

'fl' stands for 'floruit' (Latin) which means 'he or she flourished', and den...

Read More

Other Subjects

Manor House, Mare Street

Manor House, Mare Street

Built on the site of the New Mermaid Tavern for John Robert Daniel-Tyssen .  By the 1890s the house had been divided into shops and by 1877 Brett Road had encroached into its gardens.

Building, Property

1 memorial
Gospel Lighthouse Mission

Gospel Lighthouse Mission

Our drawing, from Exploring Southwark,shows the building to the right of the Mission before the Club building arrived.This website also gives the history of the construction of the two buildings, a...

Building, Education, Property, Social Welfare

1 memorial
Mulalley & Co Ltd

Mulalley & Co Ltd

Building firm set up by the O'Malley family in 1972, based in Woodford Green.

Group, Property

1 memorial
The Potteries and the Piggeries

The Potteries and the Piggeries

A notorious Victorian slum in Kensington. From the late 18th century this was an area where bricks were made to supply nearby construction sites.  As London was developed agricultural activities w...

Place, Craft / Design, Property

1 memorial
Old Change

Old Change

City street dating from 1293. Its name derives from the King's Exchange, where the bullion was stored for making coins.

Place, Property

1 memorial

Previously viewed

F. Ford

F. Ford

Limehouse man who died in WW1.

Person

War dead, WW1
1 memorial