Building    From 1888  To 1997

Royal Northern Hospital

Categories: Medicine

Founded in 1856 by Dr. Sherard Freeman Statham (dismissed from University College Hospital for smacking a patient's bottom) at 11 York Road (later York Way), and expanded into numbers 9 and 10.  1862 it had to move and took on a number of different premises.  Finally in 1884 the Grove House estate of over an acre on Holloway Road was acquired and the Great Northern Central Hospital opened there in 1888.  “Central” was dropped from the name in 1911. The hospital extended on its own site and expanded onto neighbouring properties and other sites. It occupied much of the area bounded by: Holloway Road, Tollington Way, Axminster Road and Manor Gardens. Joined the NHS in 1948 and closed in 1992. 

2014: The Northern Health Centre occupies the original 1888 Holloway Road block but apart from that and the memorial arch it was all demolished in 1997 and developed for residential and the provision of the memorial garden.

This information above all comes from the splendid Lost Hospitals of London, including the bit about the smacked bottom.

The picture shows the out-patients waiting room in 1888.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Royal Northern Hospital

Commemorated ati

RNH - Casualty Department

See the mosaic for more information about the Casualty Department.

Read More

RNH - mosaic

The new RNH Casualty Department, funded by the Islington War Memorial Fund, w...

Read More

RNH - NJ

This small plaque is rather hidden behind plants. We don't understand the mo...

Read More

RNH - Philip Hill

This stone was laid by Philip E. Hill Esq, chairman of Beechams Pills Ltd on ...

Read More

RNH - Princess Louise

RNH Opened by HRH Princess Louise Duchess of Argyle GBE on the 30th October ...

Read More

Show all 9

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Royal Northern Hospital

Creations i

Islington war memorial arch - foundation stone at the right

In 1923 the Prince of Wales was Edward, who later became, briefly, King Edwar...

Read More

Other Subjects

James Robinson

James Robinson

Pioneer of anaesthesia and dentistry. Our picture source gives much information about his life and the circumstances of his death. He was born on 22 November 1813 in Southampton, Hampshire. On 12 ...

Person, Medicine

1 memorial
Medical Society of London

Medical Society of London

Founded by Dr Lettsom. Originally based in the City, the Medical Society moved to its present house, Lettsom House, 11 Chandos Street, in 1873.

Group, Community / Clubs, Medicine

2 memorials
Capt. J. Calvin Lines

Capt. J. Calvin Lines

John Calvin Lines, District Treasurer in the St John Ambulance Brigade, Metropolitan Corps, 1891-1923. Honorary Serving Brother in the Order of St John.

Person, Armed Forces, Emergency Services, Medicine, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Bethleham Hospital 1&2

Bethleham Hospital 1&2

A priory for the Order of the Star of Bethlehem, built in 1247 on Bishopsgate at Liverpool Street, started admitting mental patients in 1357. This was probably the world's first institution to spec...

Building, Medicine

4 memorials
Ladywell Mineral Spring

Ladywell Mineral Spring

The medicinal powers of the spring were supposed to help people with poor eyesight. The spring ran dry after the construction of a sewer in the late 19th century. Careful not to confuse this Ladyw...

Place, Medicine

1 memorial

Previously viewed

F. Dunk

F. Dunk

Name on one of the main panels of the East Ham WW1 memorial.

Person

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
A. Hagon

A. Hagon

Limehouse man who died in WW1.

Person

War dead, WW1
1 memorial