Building    From 1883 

German Evangelical Church Sydenham

Categories: Religion

Countries: Germany

Founded by ​​wealthy German businessmen and artisans who left the City of London for the relative peace of Forest Hill. Temporary accommodation was used from 1875 until this pictured church was built. It suffered bomb damage during WW2 and was demolished in 1950. Rebuilt in 1959, it was renamed the Dietrich Bonhoeffer Kirche, after the pastor who had preached there from 1933 -1935.

Location: Dacres Road, opposite the junction with Inglemere Road.

See St Pauls for an overview of the history of the German Evangelical Reformed Church.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
German Evangelical Church Sydenham

Creations i

Dietrich Bonhoeffer - SE23

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, 1906 - 1945, theologian and pastor, lived here, 1933 - 1...

Read More

Other Subjects

Old Meeting Congregational Church - Uxbridge

Old Meeting Congregational Church - Uxbridge

The Old Meeting Congregational Church was founded in the 1660s, but meetings were held in the homes of members until 1716 when their first meeting house was erected. Thomas Ebenezer Beasley was the...

Building, Religion

1 memorial
J.J.H. Septimus Pennington, Rector

J.J.H. Septimus Pennington, Rector

Rector of St Clement Danes in the Strand. The lady beside the Rector in the picture is his daughter, Louie who had a sad end.

Person, Religion

2 memorials
Thomas Goodwin, DD

Thomas Goodwin, DD

Non-conformist minister.  Born Norfolk.  Chaplain to Oliver Cromwell.  Buried in Bunhill burial ground.

Person, Religion

1 memorial
St Mary Axe Church

St Mary Axe Church

Its full name was the Church of St Mary, St Ursula and her 11,000 Virgins. The origin of the nick name supposedly derives either from a sign of an axe over the east end of the church or from a reli...

Building, Religion

1 memorial
Essex Street Chapel and Essex Hall

Essex Street Chapel and Essex Hall

The first Unitarian service was preached by Theophilus Lindsey on 17 April 1774.  Supported by Joseph Priestley, Richard Price (see scientific life assurance) and others he used space recently vaca...

Building, Religion

2 memorials

Previously viewed

Edward VII statue - gone

Edward VII statue - gone

NW1, Euston Road, 160, Evergreen House

Mapping Sculpture, Sitwell and the eBay Centenary Book all give Hampton as the sculptor. The banishment of this statue from London out t...

1 subject commemorated, 2 creators
J. Dunn

J. Dunn

Name on one of the main panels of the East Ham WW1 memorial.

Person

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
H. C. Loe

H. C. Loe

Surbiton man killed serving in WW1.

Person

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
H. Young

H. Young

Man of East or West Molesey who died in WW1.

Person

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
R. Drane
War dead, WW1
1 memorial