The Docklands Light Railway was originally opened in 1987 and ran from Tower Gateway to Island Gardens and Stratford. As passenger numbers increased, the decision was taken to extend the line south of the river. This involved boring a double tunnel under the Thames from Island Gardens to Greenwich and through to five new stations, ending at Lewisham.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
DLR extension to Lewisham
Commemorated ati
DLR extension to Lewisham - Greenwich
{Above the CGL Rail and DLR logos:} Docklands Light Railway Lewisham Extensio...
DLR extension to Lewisham - Lewisham
Docklands Light Railway This plaque was unveiled by the Deputy Prime Minister...
Other Subjects
Serjeant William Stuart Lock Maxwell
William Stuart Lock Maxwell was born in Brixton, one of the six children of William Henry Maxwell (1864-1938) and Agnes Sarah Maxwell née Lock (1864-1953). His birth was registered in 4th quarter o...
RMS Titanic Engineers
The team led by Chief Engineer Joseph Bell comprised 24 engineers, 6 electrical engineers, two boilermakers, a plumber and a clerk. When the ship foundered, they all (including those off-duty) stru...
Croydon tram derailment
The tram carrying 69 passengers, had left New Addington bound for Wimbledon. At 6.07 a.m. as it approached Sandilands station on a sharp bend, it overturned on its right side. Seven passengers were...
Deptford Station
The oldest working railway station in London. It is on the North Kent line and is built on a high brick viaduct. A new modern station is planned to open close to the current site in 2012.
Previously viewed
Skiffle
A short lived music genre of the 1950s. A mixture of jazz, blues and folk music, it originated in the United States earlier in the century. In Britain, its main performer was Lonnie Donegan, who be...
Daniel Mendoza
Pugilist. Born in the Aldgate parish, date uncertain (possibly 1765). Champion who proudly billed himself as 'Mendoza the Jew'. He also taught the sport and wrote 'The Art of Boxing', published ...
17 Bruton Street
The London home of the Earl and Countess of Strathmore from 1920. The house from which their daughter married the Duke of York (the future King George VI) and the house to which the couple moved ju...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them