A pleasure garden and one of the leading venues for public entertainment in Georgian London for over 60 years.
Originally known as New Spring Gardens, the site is believed to have opened before the Restoration of 1660, being mentioned by Samuel Pepys in 1662. The Gardens consisted of several acres of trees and shrubs with attractive walks. Initially entrance was free, with food and drink being sold to support the venture. At this time it was little more than a rural brothel.
The lease of what was now known as 'Vauxhall Spring-Gardens', was acquired by Jonathan Tyers in 1729 and he transforming the gardens into a family-friendly venue by installing lights and commissioning new entertainments, while leaving some areas unlit to allow the profitable activities to continue. When Tyers died in 1767 his two sons became joint proprietors of the pleasure garden. Jonathan junior ran the gardens for 25 years but without the flair of his father. On his death in 1792 his son-in-law Bryant Barrett (1743-1809) took it over, and on his death his two sons carried on, though it is thought that they left the running in the hands of their managers.
In 1785 The site became Vauxhall Gardens and admission was charged for its attractions. The Gardens drew enormous crowds, with its paths being noted for romantic assignations. Tightrope walkers, hot-air balloon ascents, concerts and fireworks provided entertainment. The rococo "Turkish tent" became one of the Gardens' structures, the interior of the Rotunda became one of Vauxhall's most viewed attractions, and the chinoiserie style was a feature of several buildings.
From the north the gardens were only accessible by boat until the erection of Vauxhall Bridge in the 1810s.
A statue depicting George Frideric Handel in the Gardens later found its way to Westminster Abbey. In 1817, the Battle of Waterloo was re-enacted, with 1,000 soldiers participating.
Following closure the land was redeveloped, but slum clearance in the late 20th century saw part of the original site opened up as a public park. This was initially called Spring Gardens and renamed in 2012 as Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens. It is managed as a public park by the London Borough of Lambeth.
The picture source is an excellent site for further information.
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them