Group    From 1865  To 1981

Royal National Throat Nose & Ear Hospital

Categories: Medicine

Group

From Lost Hospitals of London: "In 1862 Dr. Morell Mackenzie ... , one of the pioneers of laryngology, founded the Free Dispensary for Diseases of the Throat and Loss of Voice at 5 King Street (later renamed Kingly Street) {W1} ... The Dispensary was an instant success and by 1865 it had moved to larger premises - 32 Golden Square {site of the plaque} ... The building had previously housed the London Homoeopathic Hospital from 1851 to 1856. The Dispensary was renamed the Hospital for Diseases of the Throat - the first specialist throat hospital in the country - and the first in-patients were admitted."

In 1864 the spin-off Central London Throat and Ear Hospital was founded as a dispensary in Manchester Street (later renamed Argyle Street). In 1877 it moved to a purpose-built hospital on a narrow site in Grays Inn Road. 1940 the two hospitals merged back together.

1897-8 the Golden Square building was demolished and rebuilt. In 1912 the Hospital expanded into 33, Golden Square. 1925, this was demolished and rebuilt, larger. 1985 the Golden Square premises were closed and services  consolidated services at the Grays Inn Road branch.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Royal National Throat Nose & Ear Hospital

Commemorated ati

Sir Morell MacKenzie

Placed 17 May 1995.

Read More

Other Subjects

L. C. Parkes

L. C. Parkes

Louis Coltman Parkes. A medical doctor. Medical Officer of Health for Chelsea in 1909. Authored a good number of medical books - held by the Wellcome Collection.  Obituary in the BMJ 31 October 19...

Person, Medicine, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
5 Wishes

5 Wishes

This is a bit of a puzzle. We've found several websites with the name, either a healthcare programme or a 'living will' for people with terminal illnesses. There must have been some other group res...

Group, Friend / family, Medicine

1 memorial
Bethleham Hospital 1&2

Bethleham Hospital 1&2

A priory for the Order of the Star of Bethlehem, built in 1247 on Bishopsgate at Liverpool Street, started admitting mental patients in 1357. This was probably the world's first institution to spec...

Building, Medicine

4 memorials
Kensington Wells

Kensington Wells

In 1696 a mineral spring was discovered on the site, and the Kensington Wells developed from it. The first building to be erected at the spring was the Wells spa, which operated until the mid 18th...

Place, Commerce, Medicine

1 memorial
St Barthomews Hospital - East wing

St Barthomews Hospital - East wing

Placed at the service of the war office during the Great War and was occupied by sick and wounded soldiers of the British Expeditionary Forces from October 1914 until the 31st January 1918. 5406 s...

Building, Medicine

1 memorial

Previously viewed

H. Nash

H. Nash

Name on one of the corner plaques of the East Ham WW1 memorial.

Person

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
Humphry

Humphry

A cat who lived at nearby Mary Ward House for 18 years. A ginger tom, he was named after the husband of Mary Ward, Humphry Ward (1845 – 1926).

Animal, Animals

1 memorial