Building   

Southwark Fire Station, HQ and Training Centre

Categories: Emergency Services

This location has hosted 4 buildings important to the history of the London Fire Brigade.  We’ll tell the story chronologically.

In 1777 a new St Saviour’s workhouse, by George Gwilt the Elder, was opened at this location, at the end of Pepper Street, shown on this 1792 map. Early in the nineteenth century part of it became a hat factory and the eastern wing (grey brick with white classical pilasters, facing what is now Southwark Bridge Road) was aggrandized and converted into residential. In 1878 this building (the whole site, we believe) was acquired by what was then the Metropolitan Fire Brigade, together with the adjoining site to the south on Southwark Bridge Road. The existing building became the Brigade’s captain’s, Massey Shaw's residence and the Brigade headquarters and training centre. It was possibly at this time that it was given the name Winchester House.

The site was developed to serve its new function: in 1878, the fire station by Alfred Mott was added to the south (red brick, with 3 fire engine entrances and a watch tower); in 1883 a grand Gothic wing by Robert Pearsall, Mott's successor as chief architect, was added to the east, hiding the former workhouse building from the main road; a practice tower was added to the rear c.1880 by Mott; and finally the fire station extension by the Fire Brigade Branch of the London County Council Architects Department, job architect W. E. Brooks (red brick with 4 fire engine entrances plus another entrance) was added in 1911.

This 1889 map show the workhouse being used as 'Chief's residence', etc. and buildings in front of it, labelled 'dwellings' with 3 and a half storeys – the Pearsall Wing which was damaged in the Blitz and demolished in the late 1960s.

While the buildings around the old workhouse courtyard may have housed some fire brigade staff, the courtyard itself was the ‘drill yard’ and it was here that the vast majority of those joining the force 1960s - 90s did their initial training. In 1994 the training centre was completely overhauled and refurbished. Ironically it closed not many years later, mainly due to the expensive damage caused by a fire. The construction of a ‘Fire House’, a replica of a home fitted with gas and electrical appliances for training purposes, was, in 2004, already running late and subject to legal wranglings.

Of the handful of early fire stations designed in the 1870s only Tooley Street, Hampstead and this section of the station at Southwark survive; Southwark is thus of special interest for its rarity. Southwark is the most influential of these surviving stations because, as headquarters, it established a prototype for stations built across London in the 1880s.

2021: Brigade Court is in development - a residential conversion encompassing all the buildings discussed here. 1NewHomes have a useful aerial photo.

Our c.1920s photo comes from Beyond the Flames - a terrific site if you want to know about the fire service, and they have a great page on these buildings, with lots of pictures. This one, reading from right to left, shows: the Fox and Hounds pub (extant); the Gothic Pearsall wing (demolished in the late 1960s); the 1878 Mott fire station with tower; the 1911 Brooks extension. Beyond the Flames closes with "If the LFB had a soul Southwark was it keeper."

Information also came from Listing entry 1 and Listing entry 2.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Southwark Fire Station, HQ and Training Centre

Commemorated ati

Fire Brigade HQ - Southwark

This stone relief was located above the main entrance to the former headquart...

Read More

Southwark Fire Station - extension

This extension was opened by Jocelyn Brandon Esq. Chairman of the Fire Brigad...

Read More

Other Subjects

Stanley George Du Vergier

Stanley George Du Vergier

Auxiliary fireman killed in the bomb attack on Henry Cavendish School, Balham. Andrew Behan has kindly carried out further research: Auxiliary Fireman Stanley George Du Vergier was born in 1912 an...

Person, Emergency Services

War dead non-military, WW2
1 memorial
Mervyn Peake

Mervyn Peake

Artist and writer. Mervyn Laurence Peake was born on 9 July 1911 in Kuling, Dehua, Fujian, China, the younger child of Ernest Cromwell Peake (1874-1950) and Amanda Elizabeth Ann Peake née Powell (...

Person, Art, Emergency Services, Literature, Seriously Famous, Channel Islands, China/Hong Kong

1 memorial
Auxiliary Fire Service / AFS

Auxiliary Fire Service / AFS

The Auxiliary Fire Service was formed in 1938 as part of the Civil Defence Service and was superseded in August 1941 by the National Fire Service. After the war the AFS was reformed alongside the C...

Group, Emergency Services

18 memorials
British Transport Police

British Transport Police

A national special police force that polices the railway network of England, Wales and Scotland. The force polices more than 10,000 miles of track and more than 3,000 stations and depots - tasked w...

Group, Emergency Services, Transport

1 memorial
T/Sub. O.Michael W. Gamble

T/Sub. O.Michael W. Gamble

Fireman killed in the Dudgeon's Wharf explosion. Andrew Behan has researched Gamble: Temporary Sub Officer Michael William Gamble was born on 20 August 1940. On 17 July 1969 he was attached to Fir...

Person, Emergency Services, Tragedy

2 memorials

Previously viewed

Rose Mary Crawshay

Rose Mary Crawshay

Philanthropist, feminist, educationist. Born Rose Mary Yeates in Horton, Buckinghamshire, to William Willson Yeates and his first wife Mary. When she was seven three of her baby sisters died in qui...

Person, Education, Gender Issues, Philanthropy

1 memorial
St James's

St James's

In the 1660s Henry Jermyn was given the right by Charles II to develop an area carved out of the royal parks. One of the few areas in London that is clearly defined geographically, it is bounded by...

Place, Property

1 memorial
Jan Verbruggen

Jan Verbruggen

Master gun-founder and artist. Born at Enkhuizen in the Netherlands. After an unsuccessful attempt in 1763, he and his son Pieter were appointed master founders at the Royal Arsenal Woolwich in 177...

Person, Art, Engineering, Netherlands

2 memorials
Alfred Wilson

Alfred Wilson

The founding vicar of St Michael & All Angels Church in Bedford Park in 1887. On his wife's page we list their 3 sons, lost serving their country. Whilst researching their son, Harold, our col...

Person, Religion

1 memorial