Group    From 26/3/1845  To 1856

Sisterhood of the Holy Cross

Categories: Religion

Group

Also known as the Park Village Community, this was the first Anglican convent since the Reformation. It was founded in Park Village West. The sisterhood was financed by a committee of wealthy and powerful men, including William Gladstone, and was under the direction of Dr Pusey.  Edward Pusey (1800-82) was a leading figure in the Oxford Movement, along with Cardinal Newman and Cardinal Manning. One of the founding members living at Park Village was Jane Ellacombe, the daughter of a cleric; another was Mary Bruce.

Meanwhile, in 1849 Lydia Sellon (1821–76) created the Devonport Sisters of Mercy, or the Devonport Sisterhood. The two sisterhoods has close ties and in 1856 they merged, under Sellon's leadership.

The collapse of the Park Village group was brought about by a disagreement about what their role should be: to minister to the poor, or to lead a sequestered life of devotion.  Without strong leadership the group broke up, most of the sisters joining the Devonport group which took a new name: The Congregation of Religious of the Society of the Most Holy Trinity, or more briefly, the Society of the Holy Trinity.

In 1854 when Florence Nightingale travelled to the Crimea she had taken 38 nurses, 14 of which were nuns from what would become the Society of the Holy Trinity, so some were probably from the Park Village Community.

In later years the membership of the Society reduced in number such that it was wound up on the death of the last Reverend Mother in 2004.

Information from Victorian Web, Wikiwand, Wikipedia, Wikipedia, Ham & High, Ascot Priory.

The sisterhood was responsible for the creation of a hospital. Lost Hospitals of London describes how St Saviour's Hospital was started: "One of the nuns {of the Sisterhood of the Holy Cross}, Sister Clara, who had joined the order in 1847, donated the money with which to build a convent on a site in Osnaburgh Street, off Euston Road, facing the Holy Trinity Church. Building work began in 1850 and was completed in two years. Built in the Victorian Gothic style, it had three storeys and a basement. It was named St Saviour's .... The Sisterhood moved to the new premises in 1852 and Dame Palmer, the wife of Sir Henry Palmer, a friend of Dr Pusey, established a small hospital with 12 beds within the convent. In 1856 the Sisterhood amalgamated with the Society of the Most Holy Trinity (the second Anglican Sisterhood to be established, in 1849 in Devonport - it was more commonly known as the Society of the Holy Trinity). ... The Osnaburgh Street premises were demolished in 1963 to make way for the widening of Euston Road."

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Sisterhood of the Holy Cross

Commemorated ati

Sisterhood of the Holy Cross

In this house on March 26th 1845 was founded the first Religious Sisterhood i...

Read More

Other Subjects

Dovehouse Green

Dovehouse Green

Here we summarise the splendid London Gardens Online : Land given by Sir Hans Sloane in 1733 to serve the Chelsea Parish Church of St Luke's and became the King's Road Burial Ground.  1882 a mortu...

Place, Gardens / Agriculture, Religion

2 memorials
La Patente church

La Patente church

In 1740 this French Hugeonot church moved into the building in Hanbury Street, with a patent granted by King James II.

Group, Religion, France

2 memorials
Lambeth Chapel

Lambeth Chapel

2017 the church was planning to redevelop the site and their Public Consultation document gives the history of the site with some interesting images and maps. The maps there suggest that the footpr...

Building, Religion

1 memorial
Raising the tower - Wandsworth All Saints

Raising the tower - Wandsworth All Saints

The upper storey of the west tower was added in 1841 to enable a peal of eight bells to be installed.  The picture shows the tower in 1810, pre-works.

Event, Architecture, Religion

1 memorial
John Felton

John Felton

Catholic lay priest and martyr. Father of Thomas Felton. A wealthy man, he lived at Bermondsey Abbey (the mansion built on the site) and supposedly fixed a copy of the papal bull excommunicating Qu...

Person, Religion

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Daniel Mendoza

Daniel Mendoza

Pugilist.  Born in the Aldgate parish, date uncertain (possibly 1765). Champion who proudly billed himself as 'Mendoza the Jew'.   He also taught the sport and wrote 'The Art of Boxing', published ...

Person, Sport / Games

2 memorials
17 Bruton Street

17 Bruton Street

The London home of the Earl and Countess of Strathmore from 1920. The house from which their daughter married the Duke of York (the future King George VI) and the house to which the couple moved ju...

Building, Royalty

1 memorial
H. King
War dead, WW1
1 memorial
A. Cave
War dead, WW1
1 memorial