Building    To 1855

Crowley House

Categories: Property

Getty's picture caption is: "Crowley House on the River Thames at Greenwich, on the present site of Greenwich Power Station, London, circa 1775. The house was built for London merchant Sir Andrew Cogan, named after Newcastle ironfounder, Sir Ambrose Crowley, who bought it in 1704, and demolished in 1855. Engraving by W.H. Prior from 'Old And New London'. "

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Crowley House

Commemorated ati

Anchor Iron Wharf - history

{On the base of the monument:} Anchor Iron Wharf In 964 King Edgar granted th...

Read More

Other Subjects

Thomas Devas

Thomas Devas

Wimbledon landowner and important member of local society. In 1854, Devas and two friends, Holroyd and Oliphant, founded Wimbledon Cricket Club and Devas became its first president. Lived in Mount ...

Person, Benefactor, Property, Sport / Games

1 memorial
Austin Friars

Austin Friars

Augustinian friary just north-east of Bank, probably founded 1260ish, covering about 5.5 acres, it included a church, various other buildings for the accommodation of the friars and visitors, veget...

Place, Property, Religion

4 memorials
Woodford Hall

Woodford Hall

Built, or rebuilt, in 1775 by the architect Thomas Leverton (1743 – 1824). William Morris lived here as a child,  1840 - 47, having been born at Elm House. From Theydon: 1869 - 1900 it was the Cat...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Battersea Rise House

Battersea Rise House

Built circa 1770. The house and the estate were bought by Henry Thornton in 1792. William Wilberforce, his good friend, lived here until Thornton's marriage. Both men were MPs and important members...

Building, Property, Race Issues

1 memorial
Geoffrey Mills

Geoffrey Mills

Valuation surveyor involved in the creation of Burgess Park. He was piloting a Cessna 172 light aircraft when it crashed in a field near Biggin Hill Airfield, Kent. Three colleagues from work were ...

Person, Gardens / Agriculture, Property, Tragedy

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Borough of Walthamstow

Borough of Walthamstow

Walthamstow was a  local government district 1894 -1965 when it combined with Chingford and Leyton to form Waltham Forest.

Group, Politics & Administration

4 memorials
John Johnson

John Johnson

Architect. Born Hoxton. Our information comes from the Victorian Web which names many buildings that Johnson worked on. This is not the other John Johnson architect (1807 – 1878) who designed Alex...

Person, Architecture

3 memorials
W. Ward

W. Ward

Benefactor who lived Lawn House Brixton Hill in 1880.

Person, Benefactor

1 memorial
F. Dann

F. Dann

Resident of the Central Ward, Hendon who served and died in WW1.

Person, Armed Forces

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
W. Hunt

W. Hunt

Member of the Commissioners of the 1890 Bermondsey Library.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial