Person    | Male  Born 9/11/1880  Died 9/2/1960

Sir Giles Gilbert Scott

Categories: Architecture

Architect. Born 26 Church Row, Hampstead. Grandson of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Built Liverpool Cathedral (where he and his wife are buried). Rebuilt the Commons Chamber at the Houses of Parliament after it was badly damaged in WW2. Designed Waterloo Bridge, the power stations at Battersea (2014: being redeveloped) and Bankside (now housing Tate Modern) and the K2 phone box. Also designed his W2 home of over 30 years, where the plaque is. Died University College Hospital.

His father, George Gilbert Scott Jnr, was also a successful architect but later in life was considered mentally unstable and confined to Bethlem Hospital. Perhaps an indication of junior's oddness is found in his place of death: the Midland Grand Hotel (now St Pancras Chambers) designed by his father.

Giles was born shortly before his father's problems began and was, presumably, protected from the effects as much as possible, since he claimed to have met his father only twice, the second time being when Giles was 16, at his father's deathbed.

We've found a few other architects who built houses for themselves, listed at Geoffrey Darke.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Sir Giles Gilbert Scott

Commemorated ati

First K2 telephone boxes

The two boxes carry identical plaques.

Read More

Sir Giles Gilbert Scott - W2

Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, 1880 - 1960, architect, designed this house and live...

Read More

Walworth Boy Scouts Tragedy - new memorial

{Left hand page of an open book:} To commemorate the scouts of the 2nd Walwor...

Read More

Waterloo Bridge

In our photo you can see how distressed the lettering is, and that it was onc...

Read More

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Sir Giles Gilbert Scott

Creations i

St Marys Stoke Newington war memorial

On site we thought there were only 2 inscriptions but IWM gives the text of 3...

Read More

Walworth Boy Scouts Tragedy - lost statue

This monument, now lost, was paid for by public subscription. This photo come...

Read More

William Booth College - 1

The plaque is in the entrance porch of the building.

Read More

Other Subjects

Temple Bar

Temple Bar

A bar is first mentioned in 1293, when it would have been a simple structure marking one of 8 entrances to the City of London. By this time the City was no longer confined within the London Wall, a...

Building, Architecture

3 memorials
George Vulliamy

George Vulliamy

Architect and civil engineer. George John Vulliamy was the son of the clockmaker Benjamin Lewis Vulliamy and nephew to the architect Lewis Vulliamy. Designed the charming and inventive ironwork alo...

Person, Architecture

1 memorial
Sam Dawkins and Donna Walker

Sam Dawkins and Donna Walker

Active in 2006, Sam Dawkins, from Warwickshire and Donna Walker, from Windsor, both architectural students from the University of Edinburgh.

Group, Architecture

1 memorial
H. L. Florence

H. L. Florence

Architect, Born Henry Louis Florence. 1875 he is credited with Stourbridge & Kidderminster Bank in Worcester. In 1871 he began a partnership with Lewis H. Isaacs. Information mainly from Scotti...

Person, Architecture

1 memorial