Leading anarchist known for his political activism and writing. Born Russia, emigrated to America. Lover and life-long friend of Emma Goldman. The pair were deported to Russia for their anarchist activities. He went on to live in France where he died by suicide.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Alexander Berkman
Commemorated ati
Anarchists
This art work is in the style of Donald Rooum. He was the Anarchists' self-ef...
Other Subjects
George Drew
A member of the Executive Committee for the Great Exhibition 1851.
Sir Robert Geffrye
Alderman, merchant and slave trader. From Cornwall, possibly Landrake. DOB uncertain. A member of the Ironmongers' Company and Lord Mayor, 1685-6. Married but produced no children and his wife pred...
Person, Lord Mayor, Philanthropy, Politics & Administration, Race Issues
Michael Mackintosh Foot
Politician and journalist. Born Plymouth. Leader of the Labour party 1980-1983. Married to feminist film-maker and author, Jill Craigie (1911-1999), who appears with him in our picture. His Wikipe...
Col. John Meldrum
Listed in the Parliamentary Army in 1642. Fought at Newbury and was probably mortally wounded at the Battle of Brandon (or Cheriton) Heath. Buried Westminster Abbey, 18 April 1644. According to Th...
Previously viewed
William Thackeray
Novelist. Born Calcutta, full name William Makepeace Thackeray. Best known for the novel: Vanity Fair. Died suddenly from a stroke having returned home to Onslow Square after dining out. He was fo...
Sir Joseph Paxton
Architect responsible for the Great Exhibition, 1851. Born Milton Bryan, Bedfordshire. The Crystal Palace Company gave him, free of rent, Rockhills, a Regency house to the north of the Crystal Pala...
Carpenters' Hall - Inigo Jones
EC2, London Wall, 1 Throgmorton Avenue
This memorial used to be in Puzzle Corner until walking guide Ian Swankie pointed out the unarguable resemblance to Inigo Jones.
Fawcett frieze - 48, Gawthorpe
SW1, Parliament Square
Most statues have plinths, which often carry the identity of the statue but little more. The plinth for this Millicent Fawcett statue is ...
Freemasons' Tavern
The first, 1775, building (in the picture) was replaced by a four storey building in 1803. It was rebuilt again in 1864 by the Freemasons who, in 1909, renovated it and changed its name to the Conn...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them