Building   

Blind Veterans UK

Categories: Education, Social Welfare

This charity was founded at the start of WW1 by Arthur Pearson, the newspaper magnate who became blind in later life, as The Blinded Soldiers' and Sailors' Care Committee. February 1915 it opened the Blinded Soldiers and Sailors Hostel at 6 Bayswater Hill, the house having been lent by Mrs Lewis Hall, but this was too small to be anything other than a temporary arrangement.

From British History On-line "St. Petersburgh House, no. 8 Bayswater Hill, was the home of the conveyancer Lewis Duval (1774-1844) and then of his niece's husband the Vice-Chancellor Sir Charles Hall (1814-83). .... The site of nos. 6 to 8 Bayswater Hill was advertised as suitable for high-class flats or a hotel in 1912."

The American philanthropist Otto Kahn (1867-1934) offered his house in Regent's Park, St Dunstan's Lodge, and the charity moved in on 26 March 1915. It was renamed as St Dunstan's Hostel for Blinded Soldiers and Sailors. 1916 Pearson was knighted for his services to the blind, and became the 1st Baronet of St Dunstan's. The operation quickly expanded into a nearby property and to premises in other British towns.

When, in 1920 Otto Kahn requested the return of his house, the operation was moved to St John's Lodge, also in Regent's Park, which had been used as a hospital since 1917. Various other sites were used but the HQ remained at St John's Lodge, which received some bomb damage in WW2, by which time the charity was called simply St Dunstan's. In 1948 St Dunstan's headquarters moved to 191 Old Marylebone Road and then in 1984 to 12-14 Harcourt Street. 2012 the name changed from St Dunstan's to Blind Veterans UK.

Information from the magnificent Lost Hospitals of London.

St Dunstan's Lodge was designed as Hertford Villa by Decimus Burton as part of John Nash's design for the Park. In 1830, when Lord Hertford acquired the clock from St Dunstan in the West (which was being demolished) the house also acquired a new name. Damaged by fire in 1936 it was demolished. The new house on the site was named Winfield House (for the Woolworth lineage of the owner). The Daily Mail (with lots of photos) informs: "It was built by the famous American socialite Barbara Hutton in the 1930s. She was dubbed the 'poor little rich girl' because of her troubled life and lived there for a period with her husband Cary Grant." In 1955 it became the US ambassador's official residence, which it still (2018) is.

St John's Lodge was designed by  John Raffield and built in 1812, the first house built in Regents Park, and is now one of only two of the villas remaining from John Nash's original plan. The adjoining gardens (which are lovely) have been open to the public since 1928. Since 1994 the house has been leased by the royal family of Brunei. It lies to the north of the Inner Circle.

Notes on Otto Kahn: he was in London c.1888-93, but maybe he frequently returned for he appears to have kept a home here. The New York Times, 8 October 1912, reported: "Otto H. Kahn's recent purchase of Mrs. Maldwin Drummond's London house, 2 Carlton House Terrace, announced ... on Sept. 26, had an unlooked-for sequel to-day, when it became known that the house was in the market for resale and that Mr. Kahn had taken the Earl of Londesborough's town house, St. Dunstan's, Regent's Park, for a year."  Also, we wonder if his widow was the Mrs Kahn involved with the Elfin Oak?

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Blind Veterans UK

Commemorated ati

Blind Veterans UK

Site of Blind Veterans UK's first training centre. The charity was located he...

Read More

Sir Arthur Pearson

Sir Arthur Pearson 1866 - 1921 Founder of St Dunstan's (Blind Veterans UK) li...

Read More

St John's Lodge Garden

{Below a drawing which shows the layout of the garden:} St John's Lodge was c...

Read More

Other Subjects

John Sparkes

John Sparkes

Principal of the Lambeth School of Arts 1858 - 1900. Born as John Charles Lewis Sparkes in Brixton. Began teaching at Lambeth in 1857. Cultivated a special relationship between the school and Doult...

Person, Art, Education, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Kanae Nagasawa

Kanae Nagasawa

Became a student at UCL in 1865.

Person, Education, Japan

1 memorial
Blewcoat School

Blewcoat School

The school was founded 1688. This building was constructed in 1709 and was used by the school until 1926. Purchased by the National Trust in 1954 who use it as a gift shop and information centre.

Building, Education

1 memorial
Lady Stanley of Alderley

Lady Stanley of Alderley

Daughter of Henry Augustus Dillon-Lee, 13th Viscount Dillon, had great influence in social and political circles. Wife of MP, the 2nd Baron, Edward John Stanley, together parents of Maude. Lady Sta...

Person, Benefactor, Education

1 memorial
Eton Boating Song

Eton Boating Song

Written by William Johnson Cory. First performed in 1863, the first verse goes:. . . . Jolly boating weather, And a hay harvest breeze, Blade on the feather, Shade off the trees,...

Media, Education, Music / songs

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Queen Mary (consort)

Queen Mary (consort)

Wife of George V, grandmother of Queen Elizabeth II. Born Princess Victoria Mary Augusta Louise Olga Pauline Claudine Agnes of Teck at Kensington Palace. Nicknamed May, the month of her birth.  Her...

Person, Royalty

18 memorials
William Tegetmeier

William Tegetmeier

Naturalist and journalist. Born William Bernhardt Tegetmeier at High Street, Colnbrook Buckinghamshire. A founding member of the Savage Club, and a writer and journalist. He befriended Charles Darw...

Person, Journalism / Publishing, Science

1 memorial
Sir Arthur Pearson

Sir Arthur Pearson

Newspaper publisher and philanthropist. Born in Wookey, Somerset. In 1898 he founded the Daily Express, which was innovative in printing news instead of adverts on its front page. When he started t...

Person, Journalism / Publishing, Philanthropy

1 memorial
Dame Rosalind Paget

Dame Rosalind Paget

Nurse and midwife. Trained at the British Lying-in Hospital. She was the first superintendent, and later inspector general, of the Queen's Jubilee Institute for District Nursing at the London Hospi...

Person, Medicine

1 memorial
Camilla, Queen Consort

Camilla, Queen Consort

Born London as Camilla Rosemary Shand. 1973 married Andrew Parker Bowles, 1995 divorced. 2005 married Prince Charles, when she became Duchess of Cornwall. Promoted to Queen Consort on the death of ...

Person, Royalty

6 memorials