Group    From 1942  To 1965

Camp Griffiss / Widewing

Categories: Armed Forces

WW2 US military base in Bushy Park named after the first American aviator killed in Europe in WW2.

Four blocks of temporary buildings were constructed in 60 acres in the north-east section of Bushy Park, blocks A, B, C, and D. It’s said that their original purpose was to house businesses escaping from the London Blitz but when the US 8th Air Force, a strategic bombing force, arrived in February 1942 these blocks were reallocated to the Yanks.

The camp went on to serve as the European Headquarters for USAAF July 1942 - December 1944, and as Eisenhower's SHAEF January 1944 - c.April 1944. Camp Griffiss was housed in numerous permanent and temporary buildings and under canvas.

There was also an air-strip in Bushy Park, further south near the Royal Paddocks. At its peak some 4000 personnel were working, and some of them also living, in the Park. The picture source gives more details. All demolished in the 1960’s.

The command of WW2 was, as one might expect, complicated. Our researches into how this camp was used led us into a morass of dates and acronyms, confusing and contradictory. Suffice it to say Camp Griffiss was an important site for the Americans and the overall command.

The picture source also has a photo of some US graffiti cut into a brick at the nearby "ice house in Home Park, next to Hampton Court and near to the Kingston gate".

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Camp Griffiss / Widewing

Commemorated ati

Camp Griffiss, Block A, NE corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the north east corner of "A" block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block A, NW corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the north west corner of “A” block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block A, SE corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the south east corner of “A” block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block A, SW corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the south west corner of “A” block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block B, NE corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the north east corner of "B" block, C...

Read More

Show all 18

Other Subjects

H. K. Simonet

H. K. Simonet

J. Lyons & Co. Ltd. staff member who died in WW1.

Person, Armed Forces

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
Second Lieutenant James Morton Anderson

Second Lieutenant James Morton Anderson

James Morton Anderson was born on 27 June 1886 at 9 Ella Road, Crouch End, London, the only son and 3rd of the seven children of James Anderson (1852-1940) and Sarah Reid Anderson née Morton (1851-...

Person, Armed Forces, France

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
J. G. Dickens

J. G. Dickens

Resident of Hendon who served and died in WW2.

Person, Armed Forces

War dead, WW2
1 memorial

Previously viewed

Bryant and May - Fairfield Works

Bryant and May - Fairfield Works

Halfway along Fairfield Road stands the old Bryant and May Factory. A Grade II listed building designed by Holman and Goodrham. The brick entrance includes a depiction of Noah’s Ark and the word "S...

Group, Industry

3 memorials