Group    From 1942  To 1965

Camp Griffiss / Widewing

Categories: Armed Forces

WW2 US military base in Bushy Park named after the first American aviator killed in Europe in WW2.

Four blocks of temporary buildings were constructed in 60 acres in the north-east section of Bushy Park, blocks A, B, C, and D. It’s said that their original purpose was to house businesses escaping from the London Blitz but when the US 8th Air Force, a strategic bombing force, arrived in February 1942 these blocks were reallocated to the Yanks.

The camp went on to serve as the European Headquarters for USAAF July 1942 - December 1944, and as Eisenhower's SHAEF January 1944 - c.April 1944. Camp Griffiss was housed in numerous permanent and temporary buildings and under canvas.

There was also an air-strip in Bushy Park, further south near the Royal Paddocks. At its peak some 4000 personnel were working, and some of them also living, in the Park. The picture source gives more details. All demolished in the 1960’s.

The command of WW2 was, as one might expect, complicated. Our researches into how this camp was used led us into a morass of dates and acronyms, confusing and contradictory. Suffice it to say Camp Griffiss was an important site for the Americans and the overall command.

The picture source also has a photo of some US graffiti cut into a brick at the nearby "ice house in Home Park, next to Hampton Court and near to the Kingston gate".

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Camp Griffiss / Widewing

Commemorated ati

Camp Griffiss, Block A, NE corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the north east corner of "A" block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block A, NW corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the north west corner of “A” block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block A, SE corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the south east corner of “A” block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block A, SW corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the south west corner of “A” block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block B, NE corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the north east corner of "B" block, C...

Read More

Show all 18

Other Subjects

Able Seaman Thomas Arthur Gautrey

Able Seaman Thomas Arthur Gautrey

Thomas Arthur Gautrey was born on 11 January 1881 in Holborn, Middlesex (now Greater London), the third of the ten children of John James Gautrey (1847-1902) and Emily Gautrey née Rayman (b. circa ...

Person, Armed Forces

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
H. Dowsett

H. Dowsett

Co-partner or employee of the South Suburban Gas Company. Served but did not die in WW1.

Person, Armed Forces

War served, WW1
1 memorial
J. W. Bell

J. W. Bell

Resident of Willesden who volunteered and died in the Anglo Boer War, 1899-1900.

Person, Armed Forces, South Africa

War dead, Other war
1 memorial
West Hampstead Fire Station

West Hampstead Fire Station

The station itself is nearby, in West End Lane, close to West End Green.

Group, Armed Forces

1 memorial
William Burman, VC

William Burman, VC

Soldier. Born William Francis Burman. As a sergeant in the Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own) he fought in the battle of the Menin Road Ridge. near Ypres in Belgium. His company was held up by a ...

Person, Armed Forces

War served, WW1
1 memorial

Previously viewed

Regent Street Polytechnic

Regent Street Polytechnic

Initially known as the Young Men's Christian Institute this was founded by Quentin Hogg out of the ruins of the Royal Polytechnic Institution.

Group, Education

3 memorials
Highbury Corner victims

Highbury Corner victims

The 26 people who lost their lives, the 150 injured, and the many bereaved when a Vergeltungswaffe Eins V1 flying bomb destroyed Highbury Corner at 12.46 pm, 27th June, 1944.

Group

1 memorial
Enfield Grammar School

Enfield Grammar School

Boys secondary school. Alumni include: Lord Jenkins of Putney, jazz musician Terry Lightfoot and photographer Oliver Gregory Pike.

Place, Education

1 memorial
Westminster City Council

Westminster City Council

The ancient parish of St Margaret's was divided into St Margaret's and St John's in 1727 but it was still run as a single vestry. In 1855 the two parishes were reformed into the Westminster Distric...

Group, Politics & Administration

179 memorials
Bridewell Royal Hospital

Bridewell Royal Hospital

Bridewell Palace was given by Edward VI in 1553 to the City of London to house this school, founded by royal charter in the same year.  In 1867 the school moved to Surrey and changed its name to Ki...

Building, Education

1 memorial