Northumberland House - Charing Cross

Northumberland House - Charing Cross

Sited just to the east of Charing Cross and Nelson's column, where Northumberland Avenue and Waterstones now (2024) are, the picture source, Wikipedia, has a very useful map, but there we also read...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Northumberland House - St Martin's le Grand

Northumberland House - St Martin's le Grand

Belonged to King Henry IV who gave it to his wife Queen Jane after which it was called her Wardrobe. It was afterwards a printing-house, and then a tavern. Not to be confused with Northumberland Ho...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Norway House

Norway House

Norway House and Norway Yard.  By the beginning of the 19th century this fine house set in its own large garden, had become a famous boarding academy for young gentlemen.  We know that in 1805 the ...

Building, Education, Property

1 memorial
Norwich Place / York House

Norwich Place / York House

Built as the town house of the bishops of Norwich. At the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536 King Henry VIII and Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk exchanged properties: Suffolk gave up Suffolk H...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Notting Hill Housing Trust

Notting Hill Housing Trust

A social enterprise and charity providing affordable housing for Londoners. It was founded by Bruce Kenrick who had moved to Notting Hill in 1963 (which was then a far cry from the desirable area i...

Group, Property, Social Welfare

2 memorials
NPS Group

NPS Group

Property designers and managers.

Group, Property

1 memorial
Octavia Housing

Octavia Housing

Not-for-profit organisation with a strong track record in social housing and providing care services. Originated as Horace Street Trust and became a model for many subsequent housing associations. ...

Group, Property, Social Welfare

6 memorials
Old Bailey WW2 bomb

Old Bailey WW2 bomb

A bomb landed on the Old Bailey on 10/11 May 1941 destroying the north-west corner. The mural shows the damaged building, which is also recorded in this photograph held by the Science Museum Group ...

Event, Property

2 memorials
Old Change

Old Change

City street dating from 1293. Its name derives from the King's Exchange, where the bullion was stored for making coins.

Place, Property

1 memorial
Old Limehouse

Old Limehouse

Old Limehouse, built around 1705 and demolished in 1935. The original door is held by the Ragged School Museum, Bow, E3.

Building, Property

1 memorial
151 more subjects