Building   

Lauderdale House

Building

Originally built for Richard Martin (Lord Mayor of London) in 1582 with a timber frame. In the early 17th Century it was occupied by Sir Henry Hobart.  Later Mary, Countess of Home extended the house. In 1645 it came to John Maitland, 1st Duke and 2nd Earl of Lauderdale (hence its name) as his wife Anne Home's inheritance. In 1666 it was visited by Charles II and Samuel Pepys, while Nell Gwyn is said to have lived there briefly in 1670. It was later the home of the Lord Mayor of London, Sir William Pritchard.

It was converted to a neoclassical style in 1760, and John Wesley preached here in 1782. For some time it was the home of James Yates, antiquary and Unitarian, who died there in 1871. The house became a convalescent home for St. Bartholomew's hospital in 1872.

The following text comes from Lauderdale House:Lauderdale's last private owner was Sir Sydney Waterlow, to whom it was something of a liability. He leased it for a time to St Bartholomew's Hospital as a convalescent home, but by 1883 the house lay empty. In 1889, Sir Sidney gave the house and grounds to the London County Council "for the enjoyment of Londoners", after which the 29 acres of land became a public park. The house was restored in 1893 to serve for 70 years as a Park tea-room and park-keepers' flats. Sadly, during the course of further renovation in 1963, a fire broke out, destroying the roof and much of the interior of the House.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Lauderdale House

Commemorated ati

Lauderdale House

We wouldn't normally include such a plaque but this one is very decorative.

Read More

Other Subjects

River Tyburn

River Tyburn

Covered over in 1750 but still running, underground from Hampstead to Westminster.  One of its sources is at Shepherd's Well.  Diamond Geezer has tracked the entire course. LondonMyLondon shows it,...

Place, Gardens / Agriculture

4 memorials
Martin Andrews

Martin Andrews

Our colleague Andew Behan writes: A little research on this man shows that he was born Martin Guy Leslie Andrews in 1943 in Lambeth. Alumnus and long-term supporter of Goodenough College. He was a ...

Person, Gardens / Agriculture

2 memorials
Lancelot 'Capability' Brown

Lancelot 'Capability' Brown

Landscapte architect. Baptised in Northumberland. The 'Capability' came from his habit of declaring estates to have 'capability' for improvement, rather than being a description of his skills. Nowa...

Person, Gardens / Agriculture

1 memorial
Friends of St George's Gardens

Friends of St George's Gardens

Their website describes the gardens thus: "An oasis of calm used every week by hundreds of people living and working in London WC1."

Group, Community / Clubs, Gardens / Agriculture

1 memorial
John Hearn

John Hearn

Conservationist. Born in Wapping hospital and known as Ernie. A printer until retirement. He moved to the Waterloo area in the 1960s and found there was a lack of open spaces for walking his dog. T...

Person, Community / Clubs, Gardens / Agriculture

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Drill Hall - head 2 - Scots soldier

Drill Hall - head 2 - Scots soldier

W1, Chenies Street, Drill Hall

In the spandrels above the entrance door: "Bloomsbury Rifles Pro Patria Semper" ('for my country always'). The technique used for this le...

Public Record Office - Queen Anne

Public Record Office - Queen Anne

WC2, Chancery Lane, Maughan Library of King's College, ex-PRO

The first buildings to occupy this site were built in 1232 by Henry III.  The building was known as the Domus Conversorum (the House of C...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Dorothy L Sayers

Dorothy L Sayers

Writer of detective stories, many featuring Lord Peter Wiimsey. See also her address in Mecklenburgh Square. Born Oxford. Died Witham, Essex.

Person, Literature

1 memorial