Group    From 1886  To 1989

Leysian Mission

Categories: Religion, Social Welfare

From Wesley's Chapel and from Kay:

The Leys School was opened in Cambridge in 1875; just two years after non-Anglicans were admitted to the universities of Oxford and Cambridge. It was intended to be "the Methodist Eton". The Leysian Mission was founded by the Old Boys of The Leys School at a General Meeting in the Mission House, Bishopsgate Street, on October 7th 1885. They were concerned about the social and housing conditions in the East End of London.

The Wesleyan London Mission gave them premises at 199 Whitecross Street, rent free, which were used from April 1886, for a Sunday School, a Boys' Brigade, a Girls' Parlour, etc. New, larger, premises were built in Errol Street and opened on Sunday 23 April 1890 with 200 Sunday School children in the Hall. Here the same activities continued and were expanded with a brass band.

By 1902 the Sunday School had nearly 700 children registered, with an average attendance of 480. Again larger premises were required and the Mission moved into grand purpose-built premises in Old Street. Here was a large hall seating 2,000, a small hall, club rooms for men and women, boys and girls, a gymnasium, classrooms and vestries with natural light and ventilation. The Queen Victoria Hall was opened by the, soon to be, King George V and Queen Mary on July 11th 1904.

The post-WW2 Welfare State changed the Mission's purpose so the buildings were sold and it merged with Wesley's Chapel in 1989. Throughout links with the Leys School have been maintained. A Wesley scholarship offers a number of children from the city the opportunity to attend as boarders at the Leys School in Cambridge. There are an annual Cricket Match, regular visits (in both directions) and special events.

"Leys" comes from the name of the Cambridge estate in Trumpington Road bought by Robert Sayle (department store creator and philanthropist) in 1865 to build the school.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Leysian Mission

Commemorated ati

Leysian - 1

This stone was laid by Rev. W. F. Moulton DD, October 29th 1889. W. H. Boney ...

Read More

Leysian - 2

This stone was laid by Mrs E. S. Whelpton, October 29th 1889.

Read More

Leysian - 3

The stone is somewhat damaged which means the G of Holman's name is uncertain.

Read More

Leysian - 4

This stone was laid by Thomas Walker Esq. JP, October 29th 1889.

Read More

Leysian Mission - Marshall

Mission founded 1887 Buildings erected 1903 This column was fixed by Sir Hor...

Read More

Show all 8

Other Subjects

Friars of the Holy Cross, Crutched Friars

Friars of the Holy Cross, Crutched Friars

Their odd name is just a corruption of 'Crossed', a reference to the red cloth cross which they wore on their garments.  The Crutched Friars House in the City was founded at the end of the 13th cen...

Group, Religion

1 memorial
Patrick Packingham

Patrick Packingham

Burnt at the stake in Uxbridge for his Protestant beliefs. Aged 23. He was charged with not doing deference to Romish ceremonies, and was condemned by Bishop Bonner, his cause not being heard.  T...

Person, Execution, Religion

2 memorials
Westminster Chapel

Westminster Chapel

Evangelical church.

Building, Religion

1 memorial
William Laud, Archbishop of Canterbury

William Laud, Archbishop of Canterbury

Born Reading. 1628 became Bishop of London. 1633 became Archbishop of Canterbury. Supported Charles I, opposed many of the church practices that had come in during Queen Elizabeth's reign and perse...

Person, Execution, Politics & Administration, Religion

2 memorials
Rev. Henry Allon

Rev. Henry Allon

Born near Hull.  Joint pastor of the Islington Union Chapel from 1843/4 with Thomas Lewis, taking sole charge on Lewis's death in 1852, until his own death.   Friends with Gladstone and Asquith (wh...

Person, Religion

2 memorials

Previously viewed

John McCafferty

John McCafferty

Leader of Hackney Council in 1994.  Sorry, the caption on the picture does not say which of the men is McCafferty.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
William Terriss

William Terriss

Actor-manager, owner of the Adelphi Theatre. Born in London as William Charles James Lewin. Terriss was murdered as he entered the theatre at a back door by a disgruntled/deranged former employee/...

Person, Theatre

1 memorial
Omega Workshops

Omega Workshops

A design enterprise founded by Roger Fry and members of the Bloomsbury Group. The workshops, which included studios and showrooms were at 33 Fitzroy Square.  The aim was to remove the perceived div...

Place, Art

1 memorial
London and North Western Railway

London and North Western Railway

Formed by the amalgamation of the Grand Junction Railway, London and Birmingham Railway and the Manchester and Birmingham Railway. In 1922 merged with other companies to form the London, Midland an...

Group, Transport

1 memorial