The so-called New River is actually an aqueduct built 1609 - 1613 from near Ware, Hertfordshire, to Islington to bring fresh water from country springs to the City. It required a 1602 charter from King James I. Now, 2007, the New River is still used as a source for London's drinking water and also provides a 25 mile footpath. See also the remains of the windmill. Diamond Geezer has a very comprehensive post. And here is the walking guide.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
New River
Commemorated ati
Claremont Close - WW2 damage
The charming insignia seems to show a roofscape, including a church, all behi...
Clarendon Arch - 1786
This bank of earth was raised and formed to support the Channel of the New Ri...
Enfield Millennium Fountain
The Millennium Fountain by Wendy Taylor CBE. Unveiled by the Worshipful the M...
Hugh Myddelton - N21
Formerly Bush Hill House Sir Hugh Myddelton, engineer of the New River, lived...
Other Subjects
Whitechapel Bell Foundry
This foundry is the oldest manufacturing company in the UK and is still making bells at 32/34 Whitechapel Road. Probably their most famous creation is Big Ben (we thank Alice, a member of a childre...
L. G. Mouchel & Partners Ltd
Andrew Behan found this company, still existing in 1961. It was an engineering company formed in 1897 by a Louis Gustave Mouchel and incorporated as a limited company in 1908. It specialised in th...
William Ford Robinson Stanley
Inventor, manufacturer and philanthropist. Born William Ford Robinson Stanley in Islington. He filed 78 patents for precision drawing, mathematical and surveying instruments, as well as telescopes....
Person, Architecture, Art, Engineering, Literature, Philanthropy
Kingschoole sluice
"Kingschoole" refers to the passage of the Tyburn river through the grounds of Westminster School. 'Sluice' refers to an artificial water channel controlled at its head by a gate. And there is in...
Northern Outfall Sewer
A major 'gravity' sewer running from Hackney to Beckton. Mainly designed by Sir Joseph Bazalgette after an outbreak of cholera in 1853 and the 'Great Stink' in the Thames of 1858. Our picture shows...
Previously viewed
Aske's Hospital - right - 1875
N1, Pitfield Street
This plaque summarises the history of the Hospital and celebrates the opening of the new school in 1875.
World War 1
We'd always assumed that this war was known as the Great War until WW2 came along at which point it was renamed as World War One or the First World War. But the term was first used in print in 1920...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them