Building    From 1888  To 1997

Royal Northern Hospital

Categories: Medicine

Founded in 1856 by Dr. Sherard Freeman Statham (dismissed from University College Hospital for smacking a patient's bottom) at 11 York Road (later York Way), and expanded into numbers 9 and 10.  1862 it had to move and took on a number of different premises.  Finally in 1884 the Grove House estate of over an acre on Holloway Road was acquired and the Great Northern Central Hospital opened there in 1888.  “Central” was dropped from the name in 1911. The hospital extended on its own site and expanded onto neighbouring properties and other sites. It occupied much of the area bounded by: Holloway Road, Tollington Way, Axminster Road and Manor Gardens. Joined the NHS in 1948 and closed in 1992. 

2014: The Northern Health Centre occupies the original 1888 Holloway Road block but apart from that and the memorial arch it was all demolished in 1997 and developed for residential and the provision of the memorial garden.

This information above all comes from the splendid Lost Hospitals of London, including the bit about the smacked bottom.

The picture shows the out-patients waiting room in 1888.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Royal Northern Hospital

Commemorated ati

RNH - Casualty Department

See the mosaic for more information about the Casualty Department.

Read More

RNH - mosaic

The new RNH Casualty Department, funded by the Islington War Memorial Fund, w...

Read More

RNH - NJ

This small plaque is rather hidden behind plants. We don't understand the mo...

Read More

RNH - Philip Hill

This stone was laid by Philip E. Hill Esq, chairman of Beechams Pills Ltd on ...

Read More

RNH - Princess Louise

RNH Opened by HRH Princess Louise Duchess of Argyle GBE on the 30th October ...

Read More

Show all 9

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Royal Northern Hospital

Creations i

Islington war memorial arch - foundation stone at the right

In 1923 the Prince of Wales was Edward, who later became, briefly, King Edwar...

Read More

Other Subjects

C. W. Licence

C. W. Licence

District Officer in the St John Ambulance Brigade, No. 1 (Prince of Wales's) District, 1932-1947. Serving Brother in the Order of St John.

Person, Emergency Services, Medicine, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Dr. Leonard Moss

Dr. Leonard Moss

Member of the ARP/Civil Defence Services - mobile first aid unit. Andrew Behan has kindly provided this research: Dr. Leonard Moss, MB, BS, MRCS, LRCP, was born on 14 April 1904. He was a son of S...

Person, Emergency Services, Medicine

War dead non-military, WW2
1 memorial
Edward Beadon Turner, F.R.C.S.

Edward Beadon Turner, F.R.C.S.

For many years he took a prominent part in the work of the British Medical Association having been chairman of the representative body from 1915-1918 and a member of the Council from 1912-1931. He ...

Person, Medicine, Sport / Games

1 memorial
Association of Women Pharmacists

Association of Women Pharmacists

The Pharmaceutical Journal has "a short history of pharmacy and women".

Group, Gender Issues, Medicine

1 memorial
Thomas Guy

Thomas Guy

Founder of Guy's Hospital. Born 7 Pritchard's Alley, Fair Street, Horsleydown. This is now the section of Tower Bridge Road between London City Mission and Tower Bridge Primary School.  A bookselle...

Person, Benefactor, Medicine, Politics & Administration, Race Issues

7 memorials