Group    From 16/6/1824 

Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

Categories: Animals

The following text came from The RSPCA site: "In 1822, Richard Martin MP piloted the first anti-cruelty bill giving cattle, horses and sheep a degree of protection through parliament. ‘Humanity Dick' as he was known, was one of the 22 founders of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals which was launched in London in 1824. The SPCA became the first national animal protection society in the world."

Mrs Catherine Smithies formed an early organisation which developed into the RSPCA. In 1840 Queen Victoria allowed "Royal" to be added to the name.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

Commemorated ati

Roy. Soc. for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

The following text comes from RSPCA-Australia: On the evening of the 16th Jun...

Read More

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

Creations i

Animals War Memorial Dispensary - 2 stone plaques

{Plaque to the left of the door:} This building is dedicated as a memorial t...

Read More

Animals War Memorial Dispensary - bronze frieze

This bronze frieze shows a winged Victory holding wreaths and flanked by came...

Read More

Joanna Baillie

Joanna Baillie, poet and dramatist, born 1762, died 1851, lived in this house...

Read More

Roy. Soc. for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

The following text comes from RSPCA-Australia: On the evening of the 16th Jun...

Read More

Other Subjects

Humphry

Humphry

A cat who lived at nearby Mary Ward House for 18 years. A ginger tom, he was named after the husband of Mary Ward, Humphry Ward (1845 – 1926).

Animal, Animals

1 memorial
Davey

Davey

'Special friend Davey', who, we are guessing, was a pet.

Animal, Animals

1 memorial
Bertram W. Mills

Bertram W. Mills

Son of a proprietor of a coaching firm in Paddington who built coaches, provided services to funerals and owned two small farms, one at Chalfont St Giles where he rested his horses. Bertram was bro...

Person, Animals, Theatre

1 memorial
Mary Tealby

Mary Tealby

Founded what is now the Battersea Dogs & Cats Home. Born Huntingdon as Mary Bates. Married Robert Chapman Tealby and moved to Hull by 1841. She separated from her husband and moved to London t...

Person, Animals

1 memorial
Barking Lord Scruff

Barking Lord Scruff

Music critic, dog poet, photographic model and all round good egg.

Animal, Animals

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Pimlico Wesleyan chapel / Holy Apostles, Claverton Street

Pimlico Wesleyan chapel / Holy Apostles, Claverton Street

Built in 1852 as a Methodist Wesleyan chapel with seats for 1,000. In 1917 the building was acquired and adapted for Catholic use as the Holy Apostles church, a chapel of ease, served by clergy fro...

Building, Religion

1 memorial
men of the Parish of Our Lady of Willesden killed in WW2

men of the Parish of Our Lady of Willesden killed in WW2

men of the Parish of Our Lady of Willesden killed in WW2

Group

1 memorial