Group    From 26/3/1845  To 1856

Sisterhood of the Holy Cross

Categories: Religion

Group

Also known as the Park Village Community, this was the first Anglican convent since the Reformation. It was founded in Park Village West. The sisterhood was financed by a committee of wealthy and powerful men, including William Gladstone, and was under the direction of Dr Pusey.  Edward Pusey (1800-82) was a leading figure in the Oxford Movement, along with Cardinal Newman and Cardinal Manning. One of the founding members living at Park Village was Jane Ellacombe, the daughter of a cleric; another was Mary Bruce.

Meanwhile, in 1849 Lydia Sellon (1821–76) created the Devonport Sisters of Mercy, or the Devonport Sisterhood. The two sisterhoods has close ties and in 1856 they merged, under Sellon's leadership.

The collapse of the Park Village group was brought about by a disagreement about what their role should be: to minister to the poor, or to lead a sequestered life of devotion.  Without strong leadership the group broke up, most of the sisters joining the Devonport group which took a new name: The Congregation of Religious of the Society of the Most Holy Trinity, or more briefly, the Society of the Holy Trinity.

In 1854 when Florence Nightingale travelled to the Crimea she had taken 38 nurses, 14 of which were nuns from what would become the Society of the Holy Trinity, so some were probably from the Park Village Community.

In later years the membership of the Society reduced in number such that it was wound up on the death of the last Reverend Mother in 2004.

Information from Victorian Web, Wikiwand, Wikipedia, Wikipedia, Ham & High, Ascot Priory.

The sisterhood was responsible for the creation of a hospital. Lost Hospitals of London describes how St Saviour's Hospital was started: "One of the nuns {of the Sisterhood of the Holy Cross}, Sister Clara, who had joined the order in 1847, donated the money with which to build a convent on a site in Osnaburgh Street, off Euston Road, facing the Holy Trinity Church. Building work began in 1850 and was completed in two years. Built in the Victorian Gothic style, it had three storeys and a basement. It was named St Saviour's .... The Sisterhood moved to the new premises in 1852 and Dame Palmer, the wife of Sir Henry Palmer, a friend of Dr Pusey, established a small hospital with 12 beds within the convent. In 1856 the Sisterhood amalgamated with the Society of the Most Holy Trinity (the second Anglican Sisterhood to be established, in 1849 in Devonport - it was more commonly known as the Society of the Holy Trinity). ... The Osnaburgh Street premises were demolished in 1963 to make way for the widening of Euston Road."

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Sisterhood of the Holy Cross

Commemorated ati

Sisterhood of the Holy Cross

In this house on March 26th 1845 was founded the first Religious Sisterhood i...

Read More

Other Subjects

British and Foreign Bible Society

British and Foreign Bible Society

Now simply the Bible Society, this was created by a group of people including William Wilberforce and Thomas Charles, to encourage the "wider circulation and use" of the Scriptures. On 7 March 1804...

Group, Religion

2 memorials
Dean Colet

Dean Colet

John Colet was the only surviving child of the 22 that his mother bore. Founded St Paul's School in 1509. Churchman and educational pioneer. Born London, son of a Lord Mayor whose wealth he inherit...

Person, Education, Religion

2 memorials
St Leonards, St Martin's-le-Grand

St Leonards, St Martin's-le-Grand

The church seems to have occupied a site between St Martin's-le-Grand and Foster Lane. Destroyed in the Great Fire its ruins were, amazingly, not removed until the early 1800s.

Building, Religion

1 memorial
Reverend George Augustus Mayo How

Reverend George Augustus Mayo How

Prebendary of St Paul's, Rural Dean of Stepney and Vicar of Bromley St Leonard for twenty years. We learn from his obituary in the Guardian of 1 March 1893 that, apart from his first 6 months and ...

Person, Religion

1 memorial
Old Meeting Congregational Church - Uxbridge

Old Meeting Congregational Church - Uxbridge

The Old Meeting Congregational Church was founded in the 1660s, but meetings were held in the homes of members until 1716 when their first meeting house was erected. Thomas Ebenezer Beasley was the...

Building, Religion

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding

Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding

Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding, GCB, GCVO, CMG, RAF, Baron of Bentley Priory in the county of Middlesex. Commander-in-Chief Fighter Command Royal Air Force from its formation in 1936 until Novembe...

Person, Armed Forces, Paranormal, Scotland

5 memorials
Order of St John of Jerusalem

Order of St John of Jerusalem

Order of St John of Jerusalem The Order of St John of Jerusalem combined religion, crusading military might and the care of the sick. 1309-1522 the primary home of the Order was the island of Rhode...

Group, Armed Forces, Emergency Services, Medicine, Religion

6 memorials