A church was first built on the site in Saxon times. It was restored by St Dunstan in 950 AD. Badly damaged by the Great Fire, it was patched up and then a steeple by Wren was added in 1701. In 1817 it was rebuilt incorporating Wren's tower. The tower also survived the WW2 Blitz but not much else did. After the war it was decided not to rebuild the church. Instead the ruins have been turned into a charming public garden, opened in 1971.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
St Dunstan in the East
Commemorated ati
St Dunstan in the East
The church of St Dunstan in the East stood on this site from ancient times. S...
St Dunstans College
{In the spiral:} In 1466 the school attached to the church of St Dunstan in t...
Other Subjects
Alexander Cruden
Humanist, scholar and intellectual. Born Aberdeen, came to London in 1719 to be a tutor but then became a bookseller in the Royal Exchange and also worked as a press-reader, earning the nickname "A...
Bishop Wood of Croydon
Wilfred Denniston Wood was Bishop of Croydon 1985 -2003, the first black bishop in the Church of England. He came second in the "100 Great Black Britons" list in 2004. Born in Barbados, ordained th...
Stratford Martyrs
The church website has done a very thorough job on the history not just of the memorial but the church and the area so we quote them here on the background to the martyrs: "In 1553 Queen Mary Tudor...
James Stephen
Anti-slavery campaigner. Born Dorset. Trained in law and worked for a time in the Carribean where he saw the cruelty to slaves and became an abolitionist. The death of his first wife deepened hi...
Person, Law, Politics & Administration, Race Issues, Religion, Caribbean Islands
Previously viewed
Sarah Reid Anderson
The Wellcome Collection holds the Hospital's 1929 Annual Report which lists James Anderson and Mrs Anderson as 2 of the 7 Vice-Presidents. They are also listed as Life Governors, and subscribers al...
Landsbergs boy scouts
"Toynbee Hall (Routledge Revivals): The First Hundred Years" 1984, Asa Briggs and Anne Macartney provides: "Already in the 1890s, there had been increasing interest in what would now be called yout...
Loughton Town Council
An Urban District Council from 1900 to 1933. It became part of Chigwell Urban District until 1974, when Epping Forest District Council was created. Loughton Town Council was established in 1996.
Kensington Rowing Club
In 1981 it amalgamated with the Auriol Rowing Club (founded 1896) to form the Auriol Kensington Rowing Club. The club has a strong tradition of turning out good crews both men and women, which regu...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them