St Lawrence Jewry is so called because the original twelfth century church stood on the eastern side of the City, then occupied by the Jewish community. That church, built in 1136, was destroyed in the Great Fire of London of 1666. The building which replaced it was designed by Sir Christopher Wren in 1680. Almost completely destroyed by fire in 1940 this time as the result of action by the King's enemies, it was restored in 1957 in the tradition of Wren's building. St Lawrence Jewry is now the church of the Corporation of London.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
St Lawrence Jewry
Commemorated ati
Guildhall Yard fountain
The inscription text is taken from a modern (and indeed rather nasty) plaque ...
St Lawrence Jewry - board
St Lawrence Jewry St Lawrence Jewry is so called because the original twelft...
St Lawrence Jewry - weather vane
The weather vane depicts a grid-iron, the instrument used for the torture whi...
Other Subjects
St Mary Moorfields
Catholic church built by architect John Newman in 1820. Replaced in 1902 by the church of the same name in the north section of Eldon Street.From the church's website: "As the permanent seat of the...
South Place Chapel
A radical nonconformist congregation, led by William Johnson Fox moved from Bishopsgate premises into this purpose-built Chapel at South Place, Finsbury. In 1926 the South Place Ethical Society sol...
Reverend Percival Clementi-Smith
Active in 1901 as rector of St Andrew by the Wardrobe. From A lord mayor's diary, 1906-7: "Rev. Percival. Clementi-Smith . . . has a very good head of white hair and a fine healthy-looking, good-h...
Maximilian Kolbe
Saint in the Roman Catholic Church. Franciscan killed by the Nazis in 1941.
Rev. Thomas Boys
The generous incumbent of Holy Trinity, Hoxton in 1864. Theologian and antiquary; M.A. Trinity College, Cambridge, 1817; attached to military cheat in Peninsula, 1813; ordained, 1822: incumbent of ...
Previously viewed
Sir John Vanbrugh
Playwright and architect. Born in the parish of St Nicholas Acons, London, of Flemish descent. Worked in the English Baroque style, sometimes with Hawksmoor, on Castle Howard and Blenheim Palace. L...
London County Council
Prior to the LCC London matters were run by church parishes. The LCC was the first directly elected strategic local government body for London. Replaced by the Greater London Council, covering a la...
Hampstead Garden Suburb
Henrietta Barnett formed a board of trustees to build this urban utopia following strict social principles: all classes accommodated, places of education provided, places for the handicapped and el...
Dame Henrietta Barnett, D.B.E.
Founder of Henrietta Barnett School for Girls and Hampstead Garden Suburb. The picture shows Henrietta with her husband Samuel Barnett. Born Henrietta Octavia Rowland. With her vicar husband she c...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them