Building    From 1672  To 1878

Temple Bar

Categories: Architecture

A bar is first mentioned in 1293, when it would have been a simple structure marking one of 8 entrances to the City of London. By this time the City was no longer confined within the London Wall, and this bar was at the point where Fleet Street now meets The Strand. The other 7 gateways (eee Cripplegate for the list) were all demolished and lost before 1800. This left just Temple Bar, erected in 1672, reputedly by Sir Christopher Wren.

So, it was built very soon after the 1666 Great Fire but, on this topic, Londonist confirm that the fire did not reach this far, and that the gateway had been planned before the fire, as part of the Road Widening Act of 1662. We agree with Londonist that building such an ornate edifice when so much other, more essential, construction was required seems odd. Perhaps it was seen as a symbol of renewal, of the London determination to carry on?

The Londonist post has a c.1870 photo of Temple Bar in its original position with wooden scaffolding keeping it up. Traffic congestion again became a problem so the arch was taken down in January 1878 and put into storage. It was bought by Sir Henry Meux and in 1889 re-erected as a gateway to his park and mansion at Theobald's Park near Enfield. In 1976 the Temple Bar Trust was formed with the objective of returning Temple Bar to the City. This eventually happened on 10 November 2004, to a site in Paternoster Square, next to St Paul's.

We found the following at Discovering Dickens
"An 18th-century account of it, from Harrison’s New and Universal History, Description and Survey of ... London (1776), gives us both a short history of Temple Bar and a sense of what it would have looked like during the period represented in the novel:
TEMPLE BAR. On the spot where this gate stands, were antiently posts, rails, and a chain, as in other places where the city liberties terminated. Afterwards a wooden house was erected across the street, with a narrow gate-way, and an entry through the south side of it: but, since the fire of London the present structure was erected, and is the only gate remaining {by the time of this account, 1776} at the extremity of the city liberties. .... On this gate, of late years, have been placed the heads of several distinguished characters, who were convicted and executed for treasonable practices against their king and country. But not any of them are now remaining."

For more on the structure of the Temple Bar and its statues see our page for it in its current location.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Temple Bar

Commemorated ati

Temple Bar memorial

{On the frieze at the top of the monument, above the columns, text runs aroun...

Read More

Temple Bar - Temple Bar Trust

There are 3 inscribed stones laid into the pavement under Temple Bar. They co...

Read More

Temple Bar - Theobalds Park

This plaque marks the site of Temple Bar designed by Sir Christopher Wren, th...

Read More

Other Subjects

Herbert Huntly-Gordon

Herbert Huntly-Gordon

Architect and speculative builder.  Worked closely with the manufacturers Doulton and Company to produce a rough-faced terracotta for this type of neo-renaissance architectural decoration.  Ornamen...

Person, Architecture, Property

1 memorial
Create London

Create London

From their website: Create London commissions art and architecture in the public realm. Create works with local communities in cities to commission art and architecture that is ambitious, purposefu...

Group, Architecture, Art

2 memorials
John Dower

John Dower

Civil servant and architect. John Gordon Dower was born and died in Yorkshire. In 1945, invalided out of military service, he produced the official report which set out what National Parks in Engla...

Person, Architecture, Gardens / Agriculture

1 memorial
Charles Heathcote

Charles Heathcote

Architect. Designed many buildings in Manchester- see the Picture source website. Andrew Behan found the photo and has researched this man: Charles Henry Heathcote's birth was registered in the 2n...

Person, Architecture

1 memorial
Builder / Building

Builder / Building

Architectural journal created by Joseph Hansom as 'The Builder', renamed 'Building' in 1966 and still going strong. Edited by Hansom and then Alfred Bartholomew, it became successful and well-respe...

Media, Architecture, Journalism / Publishing, Property

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Albert Edward Victor Bloyce

Albert Edward Victor Bloyce

Co-partner or employee of the South Suburban Gas Company. Was killed serving in HM forces in WW1.

Person

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
Barry Mason

Barry Mason

Cycling activist. He was known for supporting community and environmental projects in Southwark. For a time he managed school building projects for Southwark Council, before becoming manager of Sur...

Person, Community / Clubs, Transport, Spain

1 memorial
Savage Club

Savage Club

A gentlemen's club, now in Whitehall Place, with its own website. Had premises at 6 Adelphi Terrace, from 1890 - March 1936.

Group, Community / Clubs

1 memorial
World War 1

World War 1

We'd always assumed that this war was known as the Great War until WW2 came along at which point it was renamed as World War One or the First World War. But the term was first used in print in 1920...

Event, Armed Forces, Tragedy

402 memorials
Cypress Oak

Cypress Oak

Rather than risk life and limb in trying to get to the central reservation, we have borrowed a photograph. The latin name Quercus Robur translates as 'hardy oak'. The cultivar 'Fastigiata' is diffe...

Place, Gardens / Agriculture

1 memorial