Building    From 1545  To 1671

Tower Place

Categories: Property

In an area known as 'The Warren', the Tudor manor house 'Tower Place' along with thirty-one acres of land was bought by the crown for use as ordnance stores. The house was demolished (all but one tower) and replaced with a building (by Hawksmoor or Vanbrugh) for the board room for the officers of the ordnance. It also became a workshop and then the first home of the Royal Military Academy. Our picture shows the remaining tower and the workshop building. The tower was demolished in 1786.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Tower Place

Commemorated ati

Royal Military Academy - original plaque

The Royal Military Academy, 1720, attributed to Sir John Vanbrugh. Built on t...

Read More

Royal Regiment of Artillery - replacement plaque

{Beneath the Royal Artillery badge with the motto Ubique Quo Fas et Gloria Du...

Read More

Other Subjects

Brooke House

Brooke House

This photo comes from Edward deVere as Shakespeare: "King's Place, later re-named Brooke House in Hackney,  North London, became Edward De Vere's last home. The building was torn down in the 1950's...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Herbert Huntly-Gordon

Herbert Huntly-Gordon

Architect and speculative builder.  Worked closely with the manufacturers Doulton and Company to produce a rough-faced terracotta for this type of neo-renaissance architectural decoration.  Ornamen...

Person, Architecture, Property

1 memorial
Guardian Angels Church & School

Guardian Angels Church & School

The church on the Mile End Road was opened in 1903, the school, shown in this picture, behind the church, in 1896. Both funded by the Howard Family of Norfolk.

Building, Education, Property, Religion

1 memorial
52 Tavistock Square

52 Tavistock Square

Lived in by Leonard and Virginia Woolf 1924-39. Our picture source also has some photos of the interior, and explains that, even though they have moved out, the destruction of this house affected V...

Building, Property

2 memorials
Norwich Place / York House

Norwich Place / York House

Built as the town house of the bishops of Norwich. At the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536 King Henry VIII and Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk exchanged properties: Suffolk gave up Suffolk H...

Building, Property

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Leading Fireman Leslie Langham

Leading Fireman Leslie Langham

Leslie Langham was born on 9 October 1912, the son of Henry Langham (b.1886) and Annie Langham née Hodkin (b.1894). His birth was registered in the 4th quarter of 1912 in the Mansfield registration...

Person, Emergency Services

War dead non-military, WW2
1 memorial
2nd Lieutenant L. E. King-Stephens
War dead, WW1
1 memorial