Trinity House is the general lighthouse authority for England, Wales and the Channel Islands, a deep sea pilotage authority which also administers charitable funds mostly connected with seafarers.
Incorporated by charter granted by Henry VIII in 1514. The first Trinity House was at Deptford and then at Ratcliff and Stepney in the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1660 Trinity House moved to Water Lane, off Eastcheap, the building being destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and subsequently rebuilt. It was again destroyed by fire in 1715 and the Corporation then moved to the present site in 1795. This building, shown in this picture, survived until 1940 bombing, an unusually good innings for Trinity House, and even then most of its front facade seems to have survived. As part of its 1953 restoration a new extension by A. E. Richardson and Houfe was built to the east. Past Masters of Trinity House include Samuel Pepys, the Duke of Wellington and the father of William Penn. Thomas Coram was a Brother. The website, Trinity House gives some history and Ian Visits has visited.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Trinity House
Commemorated ati
Trinity Green Almshouses
This almes-house wherein 28 decay'd master & commanders of ships or ye wi...
This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Trinity House
Creations i
Lighthouse keepers
The 'Elder Brethren' are the court of 31 people who run Trinity House, under ...
Other Subjects
Henry Peter, Lord Brougham
Born in Edinburgh. Died in Cannes, France, where, despite the plaque in Grafton Street, he apparently spent much of his last 30 years, indeed he seems to have effectively created Cannes. As a young...
Richard Saunders, Deputy
Commoner on the City Lands & Bridge House Estates Committee, 1994.
C. J. Fitch
District Officer in the St John Ambulance Brigade, No. 1 District Metropolitan Corps, 1896-1941. Officer in the Order of St John.
Person, Emergency Services, Medicine, Politics & Administration
Previously viewed
David McFall
Sculptor. Born Glasgow. Specialised in portraits. Died Charing Cross Hospital. The picture source is very informative.
Eastcote Residents Association
Representing the inhabitants of Eastcote, West London.
Falklands War
Died: 649 Argentinians, 255 British, 3 civilian Falkland Islanders.
Arnold Bennett
Born 92 (then 90) Hope Street, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. The "Five Towns" in his novels are based on this area, "the Potteries" as it was in his youth. Some would have called him a "champagne social...
Temple Mills
A district on the boundaries of Newham and Waltham Forest. The name derives from the water mills which straddled the River Lea. Medieval Hackney was largely rural and crops were grown that needed ...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them