Monument

(relocated) J. Lyons war memorial - second location, gone

Erection date: 1968

At its source this photo of the two memorials is dated: "25 January 2001, just prior to their movement to storage and re-erection in Hammersmith Cemetery."

See our page for the memorial in its current location for the names, etc.

Site: J. Lyons war memorial - second location, gone (1 memorial)

UB6, Oldfield Lane North

The J. Lyons war memorial was moved here from its original location in 1968. It was here located at the newly built tea factory.

This Lyons factory site was officially opened in July 1921. Initially it occupied only the land to the south of the canal but in 1926 the land to the north of the canal (now the industrial estate around Auriol Drive) became available so that was also acquired, though not developed until later. In 1954 the northern part of the site was developed and became known as Bridge Park.

"In 1967/8 a new tea warehouse and distribution centre was built on the remaining parcel of land which was sandwiched between the north side of the canal and the southern boundary of the Bridge Park factory. Both the new tea warehouse and Bridge Park factory had their own entrances onto Oldfield Lane North; the former being known as Auriol Drive. Although the Bridge Park factory and tea warehouse properties abutted, their was no official access from one to the other except by Oldfield Lane North."

This 1938 map very clearly shows the site before it expanded northwards. The best we can find showing the development to the north is this 1944-1973 map.  From the description, the tea factory must be the most south-eastern of the 3 large buildings on the north side of the canal. It seems likely to us that the memorial was placed at the entrance to the site, visible from the road, so that is where we've dropped our pin.

The business began faltering in the 1960s and eventually the Greenford site was sold off 1998-2002. So, in 2001 the memorial was on the move again, this time to its current location, the Hammersmith Cemetery.

Source: Lyons which has a lot more information and photos of the site.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

Nearby Memorials

St John's Hampstead WW1 memorial

St John's Hampstead WW1 memorial

NW3, Church Row

{There are 5 panels alternating with a balustrade. On the central panel, inside a wreath:} Pro Patria {And below that, on the front of ...

War dead | WW1
90 subjects commemorated
All Saints Haggerston - WWI memorial

All Saints Haggerston - WWI memorial

E8, Haggerston Road, All Saints Church

This church, built 1856, was initially known as All Saints, Stonebridge but we've seen it referred to as All Saints, Haggerston, and also...

2 subjects commemorated
Gerard Manley Hopkins - E15

Gerard Manley Hopkins - E15

E15, The Grove, Stratford Library

Seamus Heaney unveiled the plaque and performed at a poetry reading later in Stratford Town Hall as part of the celebrations for the 150t...

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
WW1 memorial cross - from St John's

WW1 memorial cross - from St John's

SW1, Hobart Place, St Peter's Church, Knightsbridge Kindergarten

The cross looks as if the church was designed to hold it, but no. St Peters was built 1824-27 and this section, by Sir Arthur Blomfield, ...

4 subjects commemorated
Harrow on the Hill war memorial

Harrow on the Hill war memorial

HA1, Lowlands Road

Names are inscribed on the vertical faces of the 4 steps leading up to the plinth. Many of these are too weather-beaten to read so we hav...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator