Monument

(relocated) J. Lyons war memorial - second location, gone

Erection date: 1968

At its source this photo of the two memorials is dated: "25 January 2001, just prior to their movement to storage and re-erection in Hammersmith Cemetery."

See our page for the memorial in its current location for the names, etc.

Site: J. Lyons war memorial - second location, gone (1 memorial)

UB6, Oldfield Lane North

The J. Lyons war memorial was moved here from its original location in 1968. It was here located at the newly built tea factory.

This Lyons factory site was officially opened in July 1921. Initially it occupied only the land to the south of the canal but in 1926 the land to the north of the canal (now the industrial estate around Auriol Drive) became available so that was also acquired, though not developed until later. In 1954 the northern part of the site was developed and became known as Bridge Park.

"In 1967/8 a new tea warehouse and distribution centre was built on the remaining parcel of land which was sandwiched between the north side of the canal and the southern boundary of the Bridge Park factory. Both the new tea warehouse and Bridge Park factory had their own entrances onto Oldfield Lane North; the former being known as Auriol Drive. Although the Bridge Park factory and tea warehouse properties abutted, their was no official access from one to the other except by Oldfield Lane North."

This 1938 map very clearly shows the site before it expanded northwards. The best we can find showing the development to the north is this 1944-1973 map.  From the description, the tea factory must be the most south-eastern of the 3 large buildings on the north side of the canal. It seems likely to us that the memorial was placed at the entrance to the site, visible from the road, so that is where we've dropped our pin.

The business began faltering in the 1960s and eventually the Greenford site was sold off 1998-2002. So, in 2001 the memorial was on the move again, this time to its current location, the Hammersmith Cemetery.

Source: Lyons which has a lot more information and photos of the site.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

Nearby Memorials

People of London - St Paul's

People of London - St Paul's

EC4, St Paul's Churchyard

Cut from a single block of Irish limestone. The quote was used by Churchill but actually written by Sir Edward Marsh in relation to WWI. ...

4 subjects commemorated, 4 creators
Royal Marines

Royal Marines

SW1, The Mall

The statue and the reliefs are by Jones with Jackson responsible for the architectural elements. We found the quality of the work on the...

War dead | Other war
72 subjects commemorated, 2 creators
Battle of Mareth

Battle of Mareth

SW1, Birdcage Walk, Guards Museum

This monument, created from local stone, was originally erected on the battlefield in North Africa.  First moved into a nearby garden for...

4 subjects commemorated
Holy Trinity Clapham - war memorial cross

Holy Trinity Clapham - war memorial cross

SW4, Rookery Road, Clapham Common

The two plaques containing the list of WW1 names are in the porch at the west end, either side of the entrance.  The blue plaque to Wilbe...

3 subjects commemorated
Battle of Britain - London monument

Battle of Britain - London monument

SW1, Victoria Embankment

BBM says "the names and ranks of the airmen who took part in the battle are {on plaques} mounted around the outside of the monument, the ...

1 subject commemorated, 5 creators