Plaque

Holly Lodge wall - C

Erection date: 1925

Inscription

The above stone was removed from the north wall of the estate orchard to its present position by the Central London Building Co. Ltd. 1925.

Site: Holly Lodge (4 memorials)

N6, Holly Lodge Gardens

These plaques seem to relate to the maintenance and changing ownership of the grounds of "The Holly Lodge". The house (which was between Holly Lodge Gardens and the Holly Terrace section of Highgate West Hill) was built in 1798. The Holly Lodge Estate stretched all the way down to Swain's Lane.

'The Story of Holly Lodge' by Margaret Downing, March 2009, has: "{George} Smart built Holly Terrace ... and below it an unpretentiously pretty villa set in its own 41 acres, two rods and four perches of garden and meadows, and named Holly Lodge (on the site now of 2 and 3 Holly Lodge Gardens)... Sir Henry Tempest bought the lease of the villa in 1808, then sold it two years later to the popular actress Harriot Mellon..."

Harriot had met the wealthy but married Thomas Coutts in 1805 and it seems probably that he bought the house for her. When they married in 1815 they used it as their summer residence, spending winters at their house in Stratton Street. Coutts died at the house in 1822. Harriot remarried to a man much younger than her and in her will left the Coutts fortune, including Holly Lodge, to one of Coutts' descendent but arranged for her husband to to have the use of Holly Lodge for his lifetime. So it was only on his death in 1849 that Holly Lodge became the home of Baroness Burdett-Coutts.

On her death in 1906 it was put on the market, but failed to sell, even with the magnificent development opportunities it offered. Her widower, William, continued to live there and it was after his death in 1921 that it was finally broken up and sold, 1922-3. See Lady Workers' Homes Ltd for how it was developed.

At her state funeral in 1906 the Baroness's coffin carried two wreathes: the Queen's lilies and her husband's posy of sweet herbs from "the garden on the hill".

Since the lower two plaques, C & D are identical we have replaced one of their photos with a close-up of the lovely gates.

For a very good description of Holly Lodge do see the Downing publication. and for more on the story of the banker, the actress and the inheritance, see our page for Angela.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Holly Lodge wall - C

Subjects commemorated i

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Holly Lodge wall - C

Also at this site i

Holly Lodge wall - A

Holly Lodge wall - A

We know Churchill built walls himself as a hobby but we think Angela probably...

Read More

Holly Lodge wall - B

Holly Lodge wall - B

This wall the property of Thos. Coutts Esq. 1819.

Read More

Holly Lodge wall - D

Holly Lodge wall - D

The above stone was removed from the north wall of the estate orchard to its ...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Booksellers - Marks & Co.

Booksellers - Marks & Co.

WC2, Charing Cross Road, 84

84 Charing Cross Road. The booksellers Marks & Co. were on this site which became world renowned through the book by Helene Hanff.

3 subjects commemorated
Mrs George M. Smith

Mrs George M. Smith

SW1, Vincent Square, 82, St George's House, South Westminster Centre for Health

We are grateful to London Footprints for this information: “This was designed in 1905 by R Stephen Ayling for 'ladies engaged in or train...

1 subject commemorated
St John of Wapping School

St John of Wapping School

E1, Scandrett Street, 6 - 8

{Beneath bluecoat scholar statues:} Founded A.D. 1695 {below each statue:} Girls 50 St John of Wapping  Boys 60 Erected by s...

1 subject commemorated
St Mark's Little Army - WW1

St Mark's Little Army - WW1

SE5, Cobourg Road, 103

This is an unusual memorial, just one, though we've taken separate photos of its two parts. This parish supplied 4,286 men to the armed ...

1 subject commemorated
Paul Head

Paul Head

N15, Town Hall Approach Road, Arts Centre

This square is dedicated to the memory of Paul Head, 1960 - 2014, founding Chair of the Bernie Grant Arts Centre Partnership.

1 subject commemorated

Previously viewed

Handley Page V/1500

Handley Page V/1500

A British night-flying heavy bomber built by Handley Page towards the end of WWW1. It was a four-engine biplane, which resembled a larger version of the earlier O/100 and O/400 bombers, and was int...

Vehicle, Transport

1 memorial
Grodzinski's bakery

Grodzinski's bakery

E11, Fieldgate Street, Fieldgate Street Synagogue

The Grodzinski plaque can be seen in our photo just to the right of the 'one way' sign. The synagogue inscription is on the cream upright...

1 subject commemorated