Founder of St Olave's Grammar School. Southwark brewer. Lived at the foot of London Bridge by Pepper Alley. Bequeathed money for the school.
Other Subjects
Westminster School
Public school. Its full name is The Royal College of St Peter in Westminster. Pupils were taught here from at least the 12th century until the Dissolution of the Monasteries. It was re-founded by Q...
Christ Church School, SW3
Christ Church itself was built in 1839 and quickly established its Sunday School, initially only for boys and in rented premises in Flood Street. Then Lord Cadogan donated the land directly opposit...
Holborn Union Workhouse School
The school was part of a huge workhouse complex which gave basic education to about 400 children. Pupils were provided with uniforms, and had access to playing fields, a swimming pool and workshops...
Blewcoat School
The school was founded 1688. This building was constructed in 1709 and was used by the school until 1926. Purchased by the National Trust in 1954 who use it as a gift shop and information centre.
St John of Wapping School
The school was originally founded in 1695, although its first location is unknown, as is its closure date. The bluecoat statues are probably the finest examples in London.
Previously viewed
Royal Flying Corps
The potential for aircraft was recognised and so the Royal Flying Corps was established by a charter signed by King George V on 13 April 1912. the first 'wing' (ho ho) was formed out of the Air Ba...
Edward Irving
Preacher and theologian. Born Dumfriesshire. Founded the Catholic Apostolic church, commonly called the "Irvingites". Arrived in London to take charge of the Gaelic Chapel in Hatton Place. He was s...
Charles Rolls
Born 35 Hill Street, W1, son of Lord Llangattock, John Rolls. A keen racing cyclist, he became the fourth man in England to own a car, took to racing cars and repeatedly broke the land speed record...
Person, Aviation, Commerce, Industry, Seriously Famous, Transport
Princess Mary, Duchess of Teck
Born as Princess Mary Adelaide Wilhelmina Elizabeth in Hanover, Germany. Father was Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge. Also known as Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge. Died White Lodge, Richmond...
Finsbury Park
The land that makes up Finsbury Park was originally part of the Manor of Brownswood. The New River was built 1609-13. Copt Hall was first recorded in 1649 and was probably built to house the people...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them