Building   

Elm Grove manor

Categories: Property

The Percevals moved to Ealing in 1808 and purchased Elm Grove manor which was on the site where All Saints Church now stands. They had 12 children. After Spencer's murder the government gave his widow, Jane, a generous pension so she remained at the manor and went on to marry the vicar's son. On Jane's death her four unmarried daughters moved to live nearby at Pitzhanger Manor to be next door to their sister Isabella who had married Spencer Horatio Walpole. Their brother, Spencer Perceval Jnr., took over Elm Grove. The last of these daughters left the money for the church to be built on the Elm Grove site. The manor must have been demolished by 1905 when the church was opened. The only remains of the manor that we know about are the four urns on the pedestals of the Ealing memorial gates at Pitzhanger Manor.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Elm Grove manor

Commemorated ati

Spencer Perceval - W5

Plaque unveiled by Liz Perceval, his great great great great grand-daughter.

Read More

Other Subjects

Thomas Smith (Tottenham)

Thomas Smith (Tottenham)

From British History Online we've learnt that lordships are something that could be bought and sold. The Tottenham lordships were tied in with Bruce Castle, until Thomas Smith got involved. Smith l...

Person, Benefactor, Politics & Administration, Property

1 memorial
Walter Lawrence & Son Ltd

Walter Lawrence & Son Ltd

Building firm active in 1935.

Group, Property

2 memorials
York Watergate

York Watergate

See Norwich Place/York House for more about the history of this site.  In 1874 the construction of Embankment Gardens left this watergate high and dry. In 1893, the watergate having fallen into de...

Building, Property

3 memorials
Marshall-Andrew & Co.

Marshall-Andrew & Co.

Building contractors.

Group, Property

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Bishop Wood’s Almshouses

Bishop Wood’s Almshouses

E5, Lower Clapton Road

Good to know they still haven't caught Bill Stickers.

5 subjects commemorated
Rockhills

Rockhills

Home of Sir Joseph Paxton, 1852-65 (from when the Crystal Palace was rebuilt in Penge Park through to his death) and Sir Henry Buckland 1922-56. The dates are off the plaque and you'll note the ove...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Sir John French, 1st Earl of Ypres

Sir John French, 1st Earl of Ypres

Born Kent.  1913 promoted field marshal. 1922 created earl of Ypres for his Irish services. 1923 appointed captain of Deal Castle. He made his home there and died there.

Person, Armed Forces

1 memorial