Built in 1830 by Sir William Dundas. Demolished in 1933 to make way for the flats there now.
This extract comes from an 1893 map. The footprint is slightly different in this 1867 map.
Built in 1830 by Sir William Dundas. Demolished in 1933 to make way for the flats there now.
This extract comes from an 1893 map. The footprint is slightly different in this 1867 map.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Queensberry House - 1830
{Round plaque:} Upon this site formerly stood the Palace of Richmond, built b...
This image shows the row before 1902 when Wood Street was widened and the east-most shop was demolished. The picture source, London's Historic Shops and Markets, writes: "Built in 1687 following th...
We found reference to George Holliday in the obituary of his son, Basil Holliday, MC (1920 - 2006) in the newsletter of the Tylers and Bricklayers Company (18 November 2007): "Basil’s father, Georg...
Surveyor of the Stratford Co-operative and Industrial Society in 1919, he may have also designed the building in Bow Road.
Designed by John Knight, this originally opened as Leyton Town Hall. It was outgrown and a replacement town hall was built next door in 1896. The empty building was later repurposed as a library.
Building, Museums / Libraries, Politics & Administration, Property
British History Online informs that a house was "built by ... Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, in 1245; but in the thirtieth year of Henry III. it was granted by the king to Peter, Count of Sa...
An information board near to the Fawcett house plaque gives: "Vauxhall Park was created by a special Act of Parliament in 1888 on land whose history can be traced back to the 11th Century. A group ...
Poet, writer and school inspector. Born at Laleham-on-Thames, Middlesex, son of Thomas Arnold. He won the Newdigate prize in 1843 with a poem on Cromwell. Appointed a lay inspector of schools in 1...
Edgar Allan Poe's maternal grandparents performed as actors at this theatre, which explains the Society's involvement in this plaque.
Children's comic strip character. Created by the artist Mary Tourtel. In 1935, when her eyesight started failing the stories and illustrations were taken over by Alfred Bestall. An annual of Rupert...
Second wife and widow of the poet T.S. Eliot. Born Esmé Valerie Fletcher. From the age of 14 she determined to meet Eliot and when she left school she told her headmistress tht she wanted to become...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them