From British History: The Hall of Commerce, existing some years ago in Threadneedle Street, was begun in 1830 by Mr. Edward Moxhay, a speculative biscuit-baker, on the site of the old French church. Mr. Moxhay had been a shoemaker, but he suddenly started as a rival to the celebrated Leman, in Gracechurch Street. He was an amateur architect of talent, and it was said at the time, probably unjustly, that the building originated in Moxhay's vexation at the Gresham committee rejecting his design for a new Royal Exchange. He opened his great commercial news-room two years before the Exchange was finished, and while merchants were fretting at the delay, intending to make the hall a mercantile centre, to the annihilation of Lloyd's, the Baltic, Garraway's, the Jerusalem, and the North and South American Coffee-houses. £70,000 were laid out. There was a grand bas-relief on the front by Mr. Watson, a young sculptor of promise, and there was an inaugurating banquet. The annual subscription of £5 5s. soon dwindled to £1 10s. 6d. There was a reading-room, and a room where commission agents could exhibit their samples. Wool sales were held there, and there was an auction for railway shares. There were also rooms for meetings of creditors and private arbitrations, and rooms for the deposit of deeds.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Moxhay's Hall of Commerce in Threadneedle Street
Commemorated ati
Battishill Gardens
This stone frieze (13 metres long, 2 metres high) was originally unveiled on ...
Other Subjects
Walter Scrimgeour
Extremely rich stockbroker. He bought Parkfield from his brother-in-law, Alan Block, when his own home at nearby no. 6 The Grove became too small for his eight children. He then bought the neighbou...
LEP Transport Ltd
From COSGB: "LEP Transport was a freight company established in 1910 in London. The company name was derived from the initials of the three founding partners; Longstaff, Ehrenberg and Pollack." Mo...
National Provincial Bank
Created by Thomas Joplin (1790?–1847) and George Fife Angas (1789 – 1879) as one of the first joint stock banks with a base in London and provincial branches. The London base was at 15 Bishopsgate...
Boars Head pub
2018: Martyn Cornell debunked the text on the pub's plaque and provided the following, more trustworthy information: The pub owner’s name was J. G. Mooney & Co Ltd. based in Dublin, and founde...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them