Building    From 1887  To 1931

People's Palace

Proposed by Walter Besant, the first People's Palace was built by the Beaumont Trustees, ‘Unitarian philanthropists’, to replace Beaumont's Philosophical Institution which had been in Beaumont Square. 

It was built on 5 acres of land on the Mile End Road, starting with the Queen's Hall, opened in 1887. By 1892 a library, swimming pool, gym and winter garden had been added. Entertainment and education were provided and by 1900 the University of London introduced a Bachelor of Science degree. It burnt down in 1931 but the educational sections were quickly rebuilt as Queen Mary College. In 1937 a hall, called the People's Palace (pictured here), was built and in 1954 was subsumed into QMC.

Queen Marys hold a plan of the original Palace (annoyingly that link is dead, 2024).

The Theatre Trust has a description of the 1937 hall and how it has been restored and used.

Sources include: Elizabeth Doyle Research, Queen Mary College archives.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
People's Palace

Commemorated ati

Baron de Stern clock tower

Ornamental Passions has a photo of the seagull relief and explains that "Time...

Read More

Clement Attlee statue

It's rather disconcerting that the plaque refers to "Queen Mary College" as "...

Read More

People's Palace

The plaque names only 6 relief panels but there are 7, music being represente...

Read More

Other Subjects

Yaichi Takami

Yaichi Takami

Became a student at UCL in 1865.

Person, Education, Japan

1 memorial
St Pauls German Evangelical Reformed Church

St Pauls German Evangelical Reformed Church

Built 1886-1887, destroyed by bombing in 1941.  We have failed to find a picture of this church but AIM25 gives this: "The German Evangelical Reformed Church was established in London in 1697 by Pr...

Building, Education, Germany

1 memorial
Wagner School

Wagner School

Private day school for young boys at 90 Queen's Gate, run by Orlando Henry Wagner (1867-1956) and his wife Monica. Operating before WW1 but we can't find start and end dates. An old boy, Michael Ma...

Group, Education

1 memorial
Florence Keen

Florence Keen

Founder of the North Islington Infant Welfare Centre and School for Mothers in Holloway in 1913. At that time, around 10% of children in Islington died before their fifth birthday. She and her coll...

Person, Community / Clubs, Education

3 memorials

Previously viewed

Dockers statue - John Ringwood

Dockers statue - John Ringwood

E16, Victoria Dock, Excel Centre

The sculpture depicts dockers at work as goods are moved from a hoist to a sack barrow. The three figures are modelled on real people - J...

3 subjects commemorated, 4 creators