Founder based in Thames Ditton. From Exploring Surrey's Past: The foundry was established in Summer Road, Thames Ditton, in 1874 by Cox and Sons, ecclesiastical suppliers, to cast ornaments and statues in bronze, and the hand operated gantry crane, which moved the entire foundry floor to facilitate all major lifting work, was an integral part of the building constructed for this work. The business, which produced a large number of major castings, became Drew and Co in 1880, then Moore and Co in 1883, and was taken over by A J Hollinshead and A B Burton in 1897, and after the former's death in 1902 acquired the title of A B Burton, which it retained until his death in 1933. Burton's son in law, L R Tricker, closed the business and sold the foundry in 1939, when it seemed likely that it would be taken over for munitions manufacture. Thereafter it was used by London Metal Warehouses for making industrial castings, and then by Metal Centres Ltd, as a metal warehouse, until 1971/2 when it was sold to the District Council. The foundry was demolished in 1976 and the crane removed for preservation by the Surrey Archaeological Society.
This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
A. B. Burton Foundry
Creations i
Emmeline Pankhurst monument
Walker sculpted the statue, Baker designed the plinth. Unveiled by Baldwin. ...
George, Duke of Cambridge
We love that "etc." for his string of honours. Reddit have a magnificent phot...
Imperial Camel Corps
The sculptor was also a member of the corps. Unveiled by Chetwode. For anothe...
Kitchener statue
{On the front of the plinth:} Kitchener, 1850 - 1916 {On the front of the lo...
Physical Energy
{On a plaque laid into the ground in front of the statue:} George Frederic Wa...
Other Subjects
Dame Mary Quant
Fashion designer. Born Barbara Mary Quant in Blackheath. She and her husband Alexander Plunkett Greene opened their first shop called Bazaar in the Kings Road, Chelsea, selling clothes designed to ...
Phillips & Hopwood
From Village Pumps: "Samuel Phillips was making fire engines by 1760; in 1797 the firm became Phillips & Hopwood; in 1811 it was James Hopwood; by 1818 it was Hopwood & Tilley; by 1825 Till...
Jon Bannenberg
Born Australia, came to London in the mid-50s and worked in music, antiques and interior design. Then in the 1970s moved into yacht design and designed vessels for the rich and famous. We can't f...
Longman's Ship Binding Works
Thomas Longman (1699-1755) through an inheritance acquired a publishing house, The Ship, in Paternoster Row (the street of book publishers) and shortly after, The Black Swan, next door. Daniel Defo...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them