A priory for the Order of the Star of Bethlehem, built in 1247 on Bishopsgate at Liverpool Street, started admitting mental patients in 1357. This was probably the world's first institution to specialise in mental illness. It developed into a horrible place, known as Bedlam, dedicated to the commitment of the insane. In 1676 it moved to the London Wall site and it was this building that was adorned with the Cibber statues of Raving and Melancholy Madness. In 1815 Bedlam moved to the St George's Fields site (at that time owned by the City of London) in Southwark and, when in 1930 it moved out to a site near Beckenham, the Southwark buildings became the Imperial War Museum.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Bethleham Hospital 1&2
Commemorated ati
Bethlehem Hospital - first
Site of the first Bethlehem Hospital 1247 - 1676. The Corporation of the City...
Bethlehem Hospital - second
Site of the second Bethlehem Hospital, 1676 -1815. The Corporation of the Cit...
Gift from Lord Rothermere
This plaque was unveiled a second time, during the 75th anniversary celebrati...
Harmsworth - IWM
In 1926 Harold Harmsworth, the first Viscount Rothermere, bought the grounds ...
Other Subjects
Captain Ian Macdonald Brown, FRCS
Ian Macdonald Brown was born circa 1889 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, the youngest of the three children of John Macdonald Brown (1857-1935) and Caroline Helen Brown née Murray (1862-1928). ...
W. A. Roust
District Staff Officer in the St John Ambulance Brigade, No. 1 District, 1909-1940. Officer in the Order of St John. The Straits Times, 29 September 1940, Page 2 carried an obituary: "WESTMINSTER ...
Person, Emergency Services, Medicine, Politics & Administration, Tragedy
Oriolet Hospital and Convalescent Home
Founded and endowed by Arnold Frank Hills (1857–1927), MD of Thames Ironworks, sportsman (founder of West Ham FC), philanthropist, and promoter of vegetarianism. A centre of treatment for sick veg...
Grosvenor Hospital
The splendid Lost Hospitals has been our source for this summary: Opened in 1866 as the Pimlico and Westminster Institute, a dispensary for women and children. 1873 the hospital bought and moved ...
Previously viewed
Frederick Walter Moore
Fireman killed as a result of an air raid on Plaistow Road, E15 on 19 March 1941. Frederick Walter Moore was born on 25 June 1905 in Leyton, Essex, a son of Kenelm Frederick Moore (1878-1969) and ...
William Morris Company
Originally founded as Morris, Marshall, Faulkner and Co. in 1861 by William Morris and Pre-Raphaelite friends. It produced textiles, wallpapers, stained glass and tapestries, mainly with medieval-i...
George Bird and family
Builders and brick makers in West London. Considering their contribution to many prominent projects (listed on the plaque), it is surprising that there is no information available on them. We firs...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them