Building    From 1854  To 30/11/1936

Crystal Palace

Originally erected in Hyde Park to house the Great Exhibition of 1851. It was on the section south of Rotten Row and east of West Carriage Drive with the mid-point opposite Rutland Gate. The cast-iron and glass building was then taken down and reconstructed, modified and enlarged, in 1854 at Sydenham Hill in what was then known as Penge Park. The area around then became known as Crystal Palace. In 1936 the Palace burnt down and was not rebuilt. What remains are the terraces, the steps and some sphinxes. The BBC reported that the UK's first fatal car accident happened at "Dolphin Terrace" at the Crystal Palace in 1896 but we can't discover exactly where that was.

The distinctive curved roof above the central transept, running north-south, was added to the design of the building to enable several elm trees in Hyde Park to be retained within the building rather than felled. The trees are not there now and were presumably lost to Dutch Elm disease some time 1970-90. (But London does still have elm trees - see the Londonist article and this pdf with map.)

Some good pictures and quotes at: The Library Time Machine.

Caroline's Miscellany on the model of Crystal Palace - in Paris.

Chapter IX of Dorothy Richardson's 1915 'Pilgrimage Volume 1, Backwater' describes a summer evening visit to Crystal Palace with fireworks, a calendar-clock, a winter garden, a concert room, etc.

2025: Londonist's post What's Left From the 1851 Great Exhibition? provides many answers, including the fact that the V&A holds 3,595 items, the museum having been created partly for that very purpose.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Crystal Palace

Commemorated ati

Crystal Palace fatal accident

{Around an illustration of the Crystal Palace:} The grave beneath this yew tr...

Read More

Crystal Palace workmen's grave

Twelve workmen were killed, but we are unable to find out where the other two...

Read More

HMS Crystal Palace

This trophy was originally placed on the old quarter-deck (presumably constru...

Read More

Sir Joseph Paxton - giant bust

The Carrera marble bust is 8ft high.

Read More

Other Subjects

John Knight

John Knight

Architect. We only have some ideas about who this might be, from Charles Saumarez Smith. In 1862 he may be the J. McKenzie Knight who designed the lovely Vestry Hall in Bancroft Road E1, and is now...

Person, Architecture

1 memorial
Kilburn Wells

Kilburn Wells

In 1714, a well of 'chalybeate waters' (water impregnated with iron) was discovered near the Bell Inn, Kilburn. Gardens and a 'great room' were opened in an attempt to compete with the nearby Hamps...

Place, Architecture, Food & Drink

2 memorials
Sir Joseph Paxton

Sir Joseph Paxton

Architect responsible for the Great Exhibition, 1851. Born Milton Bryan, Bedfordshire. The Crystal Palace Company gave him, free of rent, Rockhills, a Regency house to the north of the Crystal Pala...

Person, Architecture, Gardens / Agriculture

4 memorials
C. W. Reeves

C. W. Reeves

Discussing St Mary Magdelene (Ridgeway/Windmill Hill) British History Online gives: "The adjacent vicarage, in 1974 no longer used for the purpose, was designed by Butterfield, while the church hal...

Person, Architecture

1 memorial
Henry Wilson (art)

Henry Wilson (art)

Architect, jeweller and designer. A leading figure in the British Arts & Crafts movement. Born near Liverpool. Trained with and worked in John Sedding's practice. Taught at the Central School ...

Person, Architecture, Craft / Design

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Spike Milligan

Spike Milligan

Goon. Born as Terence Alan Milligan near Bombay, India, his father being an Irish soldier who met his wife, Florence Winifred Kettleband, in India. Both parents were amateur, would-be professional,...

Person, Cinema, Humour, TV & Radio, India

7 memorials
Greenwich roundels - Anson

Greenwich roundels - Anson

SE10, King William Walk, Discover Greenwich (Royal Naval College, Pepys Building)

The roundels on the north, river-facing, frontage are occupied by, left to right: Anson, Drake, Cook, Howard, Blake, Benbow, Sandwich, Ro...

1 subject commemorated
Guardsman Frank Leslie Harman

Guardsman Frank Leslie Harman

Frank Leslie Harman was born on 20 January 1922, the elder of the two children of Frank Harman (1887-1969) and Edith Harman née Parsler (1896-1952). His birth was registered in the 1st quarter of 1...

Person, Italy

War dead, WW2
1 memorial
George Halfhide

George Halfhide

Successful seal engraver. 1796 in business with John Barnes. 1800 the business moved to 7 Coventry Street and shortly after Halfhide was in business on his own. His son, also George, joined the bus...

Person, Benefactor, Craft / Design

1 memorial