Building    From 1551 

Friary House

Categories: Property

There has been a house on this site since about 1551 and it was occupied by, amongst others, John Popham. Guests at the house included Queen Elizabeth I and, in the early 1700s, Queen Anne. 1800 the house and estate were bought by John Bacon. c.1871 the house was demolished and the present house was built by Edmund William Richardson. When Richardson died in 1908 Sydney Simmons funded the purchase of the house and gardens by the Council for public use. The house was extensively renovated in 2010 by Barnet Council for the use of local organisations.

We failed to find an image of the house that was demolished in 1871 but this is a lovely, touched up, photo of the current house, in 1912.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Friary House

Commemorated ati

Friary House

Friary House Friary Park opened to the public on Saturday 7th May 1910 after ...

Read More

Other Subjects

J. T. Chappell

J. T. Chappell

Builder active in 1885.

Person, Property

1 memorial
Limehouse Basin

Limehouse Basin

The basin was built, as "Regent’s Canal Dock", by the Regent's Canal Company so that goods could be taken from sea-going vessels in the Thames and transferred to canal boats for distribution along ...

Place, Property

1 memorial
Pimlico Grammar School

Pimlico Grammar School

Architect was J.P. Gandy Deering.  The British Museum's drawing is from 1832. Built as a non-conformist private academy for boys but the school only lasted a few years. ‘Ian Fleming’ by Andrew Lyc...

Building, Education, Property

1 memorial
H. E. Tufton

H. E. Tufton

Surveyor of the Stratford Co-operative and Industrial Society in 1919, he may have also designed the building in Bow Road.

Person, Property

1 memorial
Cheyne House

Cheyne House

The house and garden can be seen on a number of old maps, such as 1865 OS. From British History online (written in 1913): "Cheyne House consists of two or three different blocks of buildings, none...

Building, Property

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Baron George Allardice Riddell

Baron George Allardice Riddell

Newspaper proprietor, The News of the World in particular.  Chairman of the Royal Free Hospital, Gray's Inn Road, in 1926 when he, together with George Eastman, and Sir Albert Levy, funded the cons...

Person, Benefactor, Journalism / Publishing

2 memorials
W. F. Woodington

W. F. Woodington

Born at Sutton Coldfield. Died at home at Brixton Hill.

Person, Art, Sculpture

6 memorials