Concept   

garment and textile industries in the East End

The origins of the East End textile industry can be traced to the 14th century when Flemish artisans set up dye works on the River Lea. In the late 17th century the Huguenots arrived in Spitalfields bringing their skills with silk-weaving, lace-making, fan-making, etc. Then the Jewish tailors arrived and enriched the area further.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
garment and textile industries in the East End

Commemorated ati

Bowler plaque - Scissors and Buttons - Brick Lane north

We failed to find this plaque in Dec-Jan 2017, but it is identical to that fu...

Read More

Bowler plaque - Scissors and Buttons - Brick Lane south

There is meant to be another identical plaque further north in Brick Lane but...

Read More

Bowler plaque - Shuttle and Bobbins

The plaque shows a shuttle and two bobbins, representing the local weaving tr...

Read More

Whitechapel Threads sculpture

The artists worked with the Rope Makers Guild to produce this image of two sk...

Read More

Other Subjects

A. Deans

A. Deans

Worked for the Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society. Was on the building committee for the Bostall Estate in 1900.

Person, Commerce, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Spratt's

Spratt's

Canine food specialists and operators of the "largest dog biscuit factory in the world" in Fawe Street, Poplar. Started by an American entrepreneur James Spratt, who introduced the biscuit to Lond...

Group, Commerce, Animals, Food & Drink, USA

1 memorial
Laurence Corner Army Surplus

Laurence Corner Army Surplus

Closed when the owner, Victor Jamilly, died January 2007, aged 79.  The staff moved on and opened Squadron HQ in 121 Kentish Town Road.  Some sources give the opening date as 1947, but possibly tha...

Place, Armed Forces, Commerce

1 memorial
Savoy Hotel

Savoy Hotel

Following the success of the Savoy Theatre the hotel was built next door to satisfy the demand for accommodation from the members of the audience. The first London Hotel to have fully plumbed-in ba...

Group, Commerce

9 memorials
Rodney's Head pub

Rodney's Head pub

Records show Rodney's Head pub was at 4 Old Street in 1851. In 1876 this was rebuilt as shown in this drawing which is pretty much as we see it today. By 1895 it was known as Old Rodney's Head a...

Building, Commerce, Food & Drink

1 memorial

Previously viewed

Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II

Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II

Queen Elizabeth II.  A London Inheritance's post 2nd June 1953 – Coronation Day In London has some great photos.

Event, Royalty, Tourism / Traditions

10 memorials
Christ Church Charity School, Spitalfields

Christ Church Charity School, Spitalfields

From British History online (mainly): In 1708 a charity school started in Spitalfields, the boys somewhere in Brick Lane, the girls somewhere in what is now Princelet Street. In 1782-3 a new school...

Building, Children, Education

3 memorials
St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, churchyard garden

St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, churchyard garden

Churchyard closed for burials and given to the Vestry of Bermondsey on 17 May 1882, it was opened to the public on 28 February 1883.

Place, Gardens / Agriculture, Religion

1 memorial