Vinegar factory owner, philanthropist and politician. MP for Hackney. Born Switzerland. The family's brewery (first gin and then vinegar) was at Cuper's Gardens, Lambeth - demolished when Waterloo Bridge was built, 1817. In 1810 the business moved to 87 South Lambeth Road, (now an identikit Holiday Inn). Created the Lambeth Ragged School as a memorial to his wife Harriet. uncle to Mark Beaufoy. Died London.
This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Henry Benjamin Hanbury Beaufoy
Commemorated ati
Other Subjects
Albion Mills
Corn mill built by Matthew Boulton, James Watt and John Rennie. Rennie moved from Scotland to London when invited to work on the construction of these Mills. Burnt down in 1791 and Spitalfields L...
Market Gardens at Burgess Park
Our image is an extract from Stanfords 1862-71 map of London. Albany Road is the main road about a third of the way down; St George's Church is at the lower left; the present-day Chumleigh Gardens ...
Boars Head pub
2018: Martyn Cornell debunked the text on the pub's plaque and provided the following, more trustworthy information: The pub owner’s name was J. G. Mooney & Co Ltd. based in Dublin, and founde...
Pinoli's Restaurant
Londonist tells us this restaurant was the venue chosen for the 1920 "the end-of-year dinner of the influential Hampstead branch of the Communist Party of Great Britain", watched closely by British...
Queen's Head Inn, Southwark
Coaching Inn. It's origin is uncertain, but in the 15th century it was owned by the Poynings family and was known as the Crossed Keys or Crowned Keys. It may have been renamed in honour of Queen El...
Previously viewed
Trinity School of John Whitgift
Part of the Whitgift Foundation, founded by John Whitgift. Formerly known as the Whitgift Middle School, it was renamed in 1954, reflecting the school's increasing equality with Whitgift School. It...
Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them