Building    From 1856 

Holborn Union Workhouse School

Categories: Education

The school was part of a huge workhouse complex which gave basic education to about 400 children. Pupils were provided with uniforms, and had access to playing fields, a swimming pool and workshops. Most of the buildings were demolished in the 1930s.

Workhouses has a good page about the Holborn Union: "The Mitcham Industrial School: In 1870, Holborn purchased a large industrial school at Mitcham formerly run by the parish of St George the Martyr, Southwark which had been absorbed by St Saviour's Union the previous year. The school, erected in 1856, stood in the grounds of an old wainscotted mansion called Eagle House at the west side of the High Street in Upper Mitcham. Eagle House itself accommodated fifty boys aged seven to nine, and six monitors selected from the older boys. ... The school classroom block lay immediately to the south of Eagle House. the T-shaped building had boys' classrooms on the ground floor and girls on the first floor."

As far as we can see only Eagle House itself and the classroom block survive.

1884 map showing the area covered by all the different Poor Law Unions, including Holborn.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Holborn Union Workhouse School

Commemorated ati

Eagle House - Merton

{Beside the London Borough of Merton coat of arms:} Eagle House A fine Queen ...

Read More

Other Subjects

Old Palace of John Whitgift School

Old Palace of John Whitgift School

A nursery, preparatory and senior school, founded by the Sisters of the Church. In 1945 it became a Direct Grant Grammar School, and in 1975 a fully independent day school for girls. It joined the ...

Building, Education

1 memorial
Central London District Schools

Central London District Schools

There are several different names which all apply to the same institution. The Central London School District was formed in 1849, when the school district's board acquired a privately owned buildi...

Building, Education

3 memorials
St George the Martyr School

St George the Martyr School

This school started on two floors of the Church’s Vestry House in Cosmo Place. It was then housed in two nearby purpose-built properties, both now listed, and both now thought to be private residen...

Building, Education

2 memorials
Imperial Institute

Imperial Institute

Established in 1887 to promote research that would benefit the British Empire. From 1893 it was housed in a building in Exhibition Road, designed by T. E. Collcutt. This was demolished in the 1950s...

Building, Education, Science

2 memorials

Previously viewed

Roy Castle OBE

Roy Castle OBE

All round entertainer. Born Yorkshire.  Died at home at Gerrards Cross of lung cancer, although he was not a smoker.  Before his death he campaigned for more research into cancer and the campaign c...

Person, Dance, Humour, Music / songs, TV & Radio

1 memorial
S. Burdett-Coutts

S. Burdett-Coutts

Chairman of Governors of the Burdett-Coutts and Townshend Foundation School in 1924 and still alive and laying plaques in 1953. Nephew to William Burdett-Coutts.

Person, Politics & Administration

2 memorials